<form autocomplete="yes, dammit">, redux

Many web sites prevent your browser from saving your password for you by putting "autocomplete=no" in their login forms. For years, I've been "fixing" Safari to ignore this by sedding the binary of the Webkit library so that it no longer recognises the word "autocomplete", causing forms to work properly and obey my password-saving preferences.

The bad news: Safari 5 broke that. You have to hack the Safari binary instead of the Webkit library, and that breaks code signing.

The good news: Jeff Johnson has written a Safari extension that fixes this. Download this, select "Develop / Enable Extensions", and drag that file into the new "Extensions" pane in Preferences.

Previously, previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. lafinjack says:

...by sedding the binary...

Seeding? Sending?

• "applying sed to", I assume

• fnivramd says:

sed is the canonical editor.

sed s/foo/bar/g

is a sed command which globally replaces foo with bar. Try it. Type stuff. See? People who have ridiculous modern luxuries like a glass teletype or cursor keys don't actually use sed so much, but they remember how. Running executable binaries through sed is an age-old yet not entirely safe or respectable practice, like eating food that fell briefly onto the floor.

2. The only place I've ever used autocomplete=no is when I wrote the justin.tv web chat client. Assuming you use some kind of web chat somewhere, doesn't disabling this give you a shitty chat experience?

As it happens, I don't actually use any web chats anywhere. But even if I did, I'd gladly throw that under the bus in order to not have to remember -- and properly type, blind -- my bank password.

3. curlyeric says:

I have not gotten Safari 5 to be stable under OSX or Windows which is unfortunate since it's the first browser in a while to show some real promise.

4. otterley says:

I use 1Password. I've never had to deal with these problems, and my data is also way more secure. Also, it can sync your info to your iPhone and autofill there.

5. logic_lj says:

Chrome version, for anyone who might be interested.

6. nathanw says:

A fascinating difference in personal style. One of the first things I do with a browser is track down the "forget everything I typed, always, everywhere" button. I'd almost be curious to see your Safari hack so I could apply the opposite and make sure it believed every form field to contain "autocomplete=no".
    (I figure that if I'm not able to remember and type my bank password, or any other useful-site password, blind, I'm asking to be totally hosed when I suddenly need to do something important online but I'm not at my usual computer, and that practice and regular use is the only way to make that happen)

I don't pretend to be some kind of gypsy, and I know how to do backups.

And there's no site in the world that doesn't have an email-based password-recovery mechanism.

• oedipamaas49 says:

Banks tend to have some kind of staggeringly unusable password reissue process based on telephone and/or post. i.e. one worth doing almost anything to avoid, up to and including compromising the security of your bank account.

7. gryazi says:

No results found for "corporation that wants to hump your leg".