The Last Four Minutes of the Deepwater Horizon

Scene missing! A video in this post has disappeared. If you know of an accessible version of this video, please mail me so that I can update this post.
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. scullin says:

I think the banner ad I got on the video might be in poor taste:

Free Oil Stock Report
    Find Out The Hottest Oil Companies Read our Free Oil Stock Report
    www.****.com/Oil-Sector

• latemodel says:

The google ad on mine said, "Whole Foods Market. Let's save the planet one coupon at a time." I'm sure my organic rucola will offset the Deepwater Horizon nicely.

2. dasht says:

I read somewhere that the fellow what ran the company what put out drilling rig fires in Iraq post-invasion ....

was highly critical of this fire suppression operation. He observed that (a) by letting it burn instead, you spill less into the ocean until it's capped; (b) by pouring all that water on it, you accelerated the sinking of the platform and upped the difficulty of capping the well.

Don't know if he's right or wrong but it makes some sense to me.

• seminiferous says:

Interesting, but I wonder if the giant burning platform makes it difficult or impossible to access the well anyway.

• dasht says:

The suggestion in what I read is that when the platform went down, it wrecked the under-sea line of pipes between the sea-bed floor on up. That is, even while burning wildly, it was at the very least still holding the hose steady (so to speak). It made sense to me.

• bigiain.myopenid.com says:

I quite like the Russians solution.

big (it's the only way to be sure)

3. ywwg says:

I was really hoping the grim meathook future would take its time coming to the first world, but it looks like we're doing all we can to hasten its arrival.

4. spoonyfork says:

All I could think of while watching those videos was how expensive that event must have been from all angles. Drill baby, drill.

5. cattycritic says:

I can't believe nobody else posted the brilliant slam from Bill Maher's Twitter feed.

6. korgmeister says:

I want that first picture in high res so badly now.

EDIT: Wow, I need to upgrade my attention span. There's a link to exactly that in the article.