Surinam Toad has BACNE with EYES.

This is truly one of the most disgusting things I have heard of, and in this statement I am considering the octopus whose penis-tentacle breaks off, as well as various animals in posession of what is termed a "torture phallus".

Surinam toad:

The partners rise from the floor while in amplexus and flip through the water in arcs. During each arc, the female releases 3-10 eggs, which get embedded in the skin on her back by the male's movements. After implantation the eggs sink into the skin and form pockets over a period of several days, eventually taking on the appearance of an irregular honeycomb. The larvae develop through the tadpole stage inside these pockets, eventually emerging from the mother's back as fully developed toads, though they are less than an inch long.

You really have to see the full sized image to grasp the true horror of this.

Tags: , , ,

1. Cheers for that, Jamie, has put me right off my porridge. :)

2. notthebuddha says:

Whenever I am revolted by some revelation of the excesses of the natural world, I look within myself for the serenity to overcome - by meditating on the fact that human poo is as much as 2/3 bacteria corpses by weight.

3. edouardp says:

Seriously, that weirds you out? You need to get along to some more human births...

4. dagbrown says:

It's probably best to just think of it as a sort of cannibalistic botfly.

Oh wait, no, that actually makes it rather a lot worse. Sorry!

At least it isn't traumatic insemination, a mating innovation that has been developed by certain species of bed bug. In some cases, this has emerged within the last century.

5. tjic says:

Just tell me one thing, Burke. You're going out there to destroy them, right? Not to study. Not to bring back. But to wipe them ou

6. taskboy3000 says:

I've heard of and seen these critters before. It's easy and understandable to fear the exotic, but consider the following.
    Most frogs where I live keep their eggs in a jellied mass that looks like a pea fruitcake. That sounds (and looks) pretty awful.

At least these frog moms don't abandon their children in jelly.

• remonstrare says:

Also

• "Their bite is considered one of the most painful that can be inflicted by any insect"
      • "the saliva liquefies muscle tissue"
      • "Occasionally when encountered by a human, they have been known to "play dead" and emit a fluid from their anus."
      • "Giant water bugs are a popular food in Thailand."

I heard it's like squishy, watery bubblewrap.

I have a couch like that. If only it could walk.

7. wtfwtf_ok says:

Baby got back.

8. pavel_lishin says:

Ugh, someone fed it after midnight and got it wet?

Fantastic, we need a third film in the series.

9. dr_memory says:

Good lord. Having recently produced a human offspring myself, I had been under the impression that there was no reproductive process more needlessly disgusting and messy than mammalian birth. How terribly, terribly wrong I was.

10. mcity says:

>You really have to see the full sized image to grasp the true horror of this.

Nu-uh. I'm still getting over larvaeboob.

11. cdavies says:

There's no horror to be had, they look like happy little chest bursters.

12. rufdog says:

yeah, I've thought for some time now that this is definitely the absolute grossest thing I've ever seen.

I misspoke, of course. This is far from being one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I meant "in the natural world". You know, not including innovations by the Japanese or Furries.

13. biggeek says:

Rent "The Manitou" and be horrified by human back birth and 1970's fashions.

14. cryllius says:

Your toad is all I could think of while watching this video.