Dali Clock 2.33 now in iPhone store

Dali Clock 2.33 is out now, and is finally installable on your iPhone.

Improvements relevant to other platforms include: keeping the clock centered in the window when only 5 digits are being shown; and the elimination of flicker that happened on OSX only when a transparent clock window was overlaying another window that was playing video.

Tags: , , , ,

1. ritcey says:

Excellent - love the shake response.

2. Finally. Downloaded it. Here are some constructive criticisms

1. The phone goes to sleep by system dim/sleep default when you run the clock. It should be like Night Stand and persistently display the clock whether running on battery or usb power.

2. The typography needs to be fixed to something Dali would approve. Perhaps something like Hoefler FJ Numbers Depot or Strasse - see: http://typography.com/fonts/font_styles.php?productLineID=100018

3. Nothing happens when I shake the phone. That needs to be fixed. Maybe show a picture of 2 gay tigers attacking a sleeping naked female.

1. I don't know how to do that.

2. What's in there now is the closest thing I could find to the font that was in the original. But I have long thought that the animation would look better if the descender on the top part of "1", "2" and "3" were at the same elevation so that it didn't do that thing where an island breaks off and rejoins the main body.

3. Shake harder or look closer.

• I think the first one should be a single line of code

[UIApplication sharedApplication].idleTimerDisabled = YES;

My bad on #3. I was shaking it like a maniac and not watching the screen closely.

3. rbeef says:

I think the month in the date display may be off by one. At least it shows 03-27-10 on my iPhone. I'm happy to test a beta if you'd like.

4. wire_on_fire says:

...so the Apple app store is less of a pain in the ass than the Palm app store? Or is it just that the Reality Distortion Field is that good and those weren't the droids you were looking for?

Once I figured out how to properly sign it (which took a couple of days), I went from "submit" to "available" in 3 days. So, yeah.

5. pfrank says:

Sweet. This looks nice on the iPad.

6. jcurious says:

When is xscreensaver coming out for the iphone/ipad? :)

Well the first hurdle is that there's not really any sense in which screen savers make sense on these devices.

But the second, harder hurdle would be converting all that code from OpenGL to OpenGLES, which sounds like truckloads of not-fun.

• jcurious says:

Perhaps it doesn't make much sense on the iphone side, however on the ipad side:

the photo and video hacks at a would add new and interesting ways to present photos and videos...

some of the text based ones would provide a nifty way to keep an eye on syslogs/feeds while working on the computer...

as for the rest, you could make many of the others into interactive toys by using touch/accelerometers/location...

• fantasygoat says:

Or, release each one as a separate app for 99 cents each. Steve would approve.

7. jmtd says:

Thank you. It's made it to the UK store too, now.

I note that someone else has written a "DaliClock" but is charging £0.59 ($99) for it. Someone did the same for a project I worked on 'freedoom', "Hell on Earth" app takes iD Software's engine and freedoom's game data and packages them together for the bottom price point.

App pricing is one giant race to the bottom.

Yeah, there were two others already, one that seems to be a mostly-independent port of the original Capps code, not based on mine; and the dot-matrix one, which works completely differently (and uh, isn't very good looking.)

8. Installed and looking good. I like the rotation between orientations in this version.

Just an idle thought I've meant to ask since well before this iPhone business: Have you ever considered switching to vector outlines to do smoother transitions and even more Dali-esque things like melting numbers, etc?

Considered it, but I think it would look pretty crappy unless I built a custom font out of splines, with control-points in the same places for each digit. Building that automatically out of the pixel versions would just give you a faceted look when you scaled it up.

• Because you don't need to worry about scaling the font down super small (no need for hinting) maybe you could use something like FreeType2 to generate a vector outline of each character, add intermediate points to the outline when you do the morph, and then do some sort of interpolation to figure out which point in glyph A goes to a similar point in glyph B to get a good looking transition? Certainly less messy than dealing with splines.

I think the hardest part would be to figure out how to tell it where to break up the shapes in transitions so they look "right". So like going from 2 to 8 you have the points on the 2 connect to each other in the middle to form the 8.