Codesign, part 3

I'm sure I had people telling me that all this crap was working fine for them on Xcode 3.2.3.

Well, I uninstalled 3.2.3 and re-installed Xcode 3.2.2, and that makes it sign without error.

Of course, since I made the mistake (as a part of trying to figure out what was going wrong here) of upgrading my phone to 4.0b, I can no longer test the app on my phone, because only 3.2.3 will talk to the 4.0 iPhone OS. And apparently downgrading your phone back to OS 3.1.3 is an even more convoluted and flaky process than jailbreaking it.

But, it seems to have uploaded to the store and has "changed state to In Review", so we shall see if that means it made it past the DRM filter.

Previously.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. lafinjack says:

How many hours have you spent coding this in the past week or three, and how many hours have you spent fighting the tools?

2. ahruman says:

I believe that last 3.2.3 was supposed to be 3.1.3.

This would be easier if iPhone OS had a series of animal-themed code names.

3. endquote says:

I downgraded mine from 4b1 to 3.1.3 using these instructions: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/04/downgrade-iphone-3g-os-4-0-to-3-1-3-or-lower/

Yeah, it's convoluted, but it worked ok.

4. g051051 says:

Your first post on the problem mentioned that you tried 3.2.2 with the same signing problem. Is it that projects created with 3.2.3 won't sign correctly, even in 3.2.2?

It is true that when I first tried to do this, I was on 3.2.2 and was unable to get it to sign properly.

Presumably there was something else wrong, which I later fixed, only to run into the second problem in the cascade: that 3.2.3 doesn't work. Unfortunately whatever that other thing was that I fixed, I fixed after upgrading from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3.

5. Huzzah!

At least you can take some small comfort in the fact that it went into "In Review" pretty quickly.

Did you do anything to take advantage of the shake gesture after?

6. vordark says:

I have an only half-related, painfully obvious question, on account of the fact that I'm thinking about picking up an iPhone in the relatively near future.

Is there no "reset" button for the iPhone? Some magical thing you can do to easily reset the phone to what it was when you bought it, so you can do the standard upgrade dance and restore your data from your hard drive?

I'm pretty sure the lack of that scares me.

• blech says:

There isn't on the phone, but you can do both a factory restore (ie "no user data") and restore from backup (which is, hopefully, "last good user data") by plugging into iTunes. I accept this might also scare you, but if it does, you'd be best off avoiding the device: iTunes is pretty necessary.

• vordark says:

Ima just gonna go out on a limb here and assume that if I'm running Linux, Ima gonna be fucked. Am I right?

• pallmalls says:

if I'm running Linux, Ima gonna be fucked. Am I right?

That statement applies to more than just owning an iPhone.

Retrning to the point: Backing up and restoring the phone's data from a VMware host running XP seems to work. OS upgrades from a VM always seem to brick the phone, though, and I have to borrow a co-worker's Mini to fix it. I have no idea whether or not that has anything to do with Linux being a festering pile of shit, but my guess is "yes".

Also, my phone charges just fine off my ThinkPad at home, but at work I need to have the XP VM running to get it to charge. Otherwise, it'll just drain the battery.

• sherm says:

No, the "button," along with everything else, is iTunes, and once you start installing prerelease software, all bets are off (not that it works especially well with RTM code).

• joe714 says:

On the phone, "Settings" -> "General" -> "Reset" -> "Erase All Contents And Settings" puts it back to out of the box state.

However, it doesn't undo any OS upgrades, it wipes the version you were running clean. Particularly on the iPhone, OS upgrades tend to be one way.

7. allartburns says:

I'm not getting why you're spending so much time trying to navigate Steve's Microsoft Inspired Garden of Safety for Stupid Children. Isn't google (equiv) and easier road for open source development? (I ask this not having written an app for either one.)

1) Because I actually have an iPhone, 2) because the reason I don't have an Android is that I'm done with dealing with the Unix Arts & crafts Movement, most especially when it comes to UI design. From everything I've seen, Android's even more of a joke than Palm's so-called "WebOS".

• allartburns says:

Have you used a 2.0 phone yet? The 1.0 phones were as clunky as the 1.0 iPhones, but the 2.0 phones are much nicer.

I've been using a Droid for a month or two now and it works just fine. I haven't had to do any sort of "sysadmin" or related work, and it's way more usable than my WinMo phone was. Also it has this clever feature, "run untrusted apps", that makes it pretty easy to download/test code.

8. refried says:

I would've had a much harder time solving this problem otherwise...