videos

Please enjoy (what has been retconned to be) jwz mixtape 085.

Tags: , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. wikkit42 says:

You've talked of trying to get more musical acts playing at the DNA. How much do you influence the booking process? I ask because some of your tastes could be called "fucking weird", and it seems like that'd make the process harder.

2. pixel_juice says:

Thank you for Miss Simpatia. My g/f and I are bumping it right now.

I raise you a G-Dragon:

3. "This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Actually for those ones I can't even tell who it is or what it is. I guess that's one way to stop illegal downloading.

Wow, that's some serious bullshit.

I assume there are proxies you can use to get around this, but what a pain in the ass.

• marc_lacoste says:

the 1st and 6th youtubes are blocked. what are their names? a vid search is faster than finding a proxy, and is usable on any terminal.

This happen often, unfortunately. Also for old posts, deleted videos without any clue of what they were.

4. gryazi says:

FWIW, this is pretty much the limit (or maybe 3 over) for viewing with the Linux/Firefox/Flash stack on a not-yet-completely-obsolete Athlon X2 box. Scrolling becomes an exercise in patience and the individual Flash instances are managing to fight each other for time even when they're paused. [Maybe it's only this awful with 64-bit Flash. Where "maybe" means "probably."]

I suppose it's time for me to start using Flashblock at home.

• lionsphil says:

You realise that LiveJournal can do that for you? Under the preferences somewhere, you can set all embeds and non-tiny images to be placeholdered.

Unfortunately, neither it nor FlashBlock let you re-placeholder things short of a refresh, which is pain when you get a few seconds into something, decide you hate it, and want to reallocate your meagre bandwidth to the next one down. Maybe a workaround is to spawn them out into tabs, which *sometimes* stops the embedded version properly.

• gryazi says:

Logging in just to read stuff that doesn't demand it is the being-Canadian of the Internet.
        Polite. Neighborly. But they're snickering at you behind your back.

• treptoplax says:

Maybe it's only this awful with 64-bit Flash.

It looks fine - er, rather, flash playback works ok - on my even more obsolete 1.7 Ghz Sempron running Debian, so either it is the 64bitness or YMMV.

• gryazi says:

Yeah, I think the other variable I forgot about is FF3.6. GNOME Epiphany"Web Browser" 2.28.0 a la WebKit gets slightly sluggish scrolling but not nearly as bad. Until you play a video, because Flash likes to let even more garbage paint through in that environment (or whatever happens when the YouTube controls start doing Pokèmon seizure flickery crap through the background of a movie, oh well).

5. yazmeya says:

thank you for this. there should be more of it.

6. holotax says:

Watched the first three videos, recognizing only the LCMDF-song, thinking "Who does this kind of weird shit". Turns out, my fellow finns are to blame. Oh well.
    Also, what the world needs is more videos with synchronized swimming.