Poop dermatitis linked to fashionable toilet seats, harsh chemicals.

Apparently you *can* catch it from a toilet seat.
"Toilet seat dermatitis is one of those legendary conditions described in medical textbooks and seen in underdeveloped countries, but one that younger pediatricians have not come across in their daily practice," says Cohen, director of pediatric dermatology at Hopkins Children's. "If our small analysis is any indication of what's happening, we need to make sure the condition is on every pediatrician's radar."

Analyzing five cases from the United States and India in the February issue of the journal Pediatrics, Cohen and colleagues said the culprits responsible for the reemergence of the condition are harsh cleaning chemicals and exotic wooden toilet seats -- making a comeback as bathroom decor -- especially seats covered with varnishes and paints.

Previously.

Tags:

1. pavel_lishin says:

So, in third world countries, the poor suffer from this, while in first world countries, the rich suffer from this?

2. emtel says:

If I'm reading this right, people are actually getting sick from overzealous cleaning of toilet seats, not from germs that might hypothetically exist on the seat were it not cleaned with bleach and glycol ethers?

I always say, anyone who is squeamish about public toilet seats but not about doorknobs is being completely irrational. I'd rather lick a toilet seat than a public doorknob any day.

• dasht says:

Cool, what else are you into?

• elusis says:

The only possible way for a woman to get pee or poop on a toilet seat is if you are hovering over it. Thus, the germophobic hover-ers are responsible for exactly the problem they fear.

How I hate them.

• strspn says:

I used to feel that way, but after reading all the comments on http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/how-long-does-flu-live-on-a-door-knob/ I'm sort of the opinion that I'm basically going to get everything that can ever be transferred by contact so I might as well get them sooner and establish the immunity rather than later and always be worrying about it. If we get an epidemic with a higher body count than SARS or bird flu I'll re-evaluate.

However, I try to wash my hands before eating or touching my face if I've been out, push traffic crossing and elevator buttons with the back of my hand, and bring recyclable bags to the grocery store and forgo the carts and baskets. And yes, I open bathroom doors with elbows, towels or napkins at restaurants and bars.

3. pikuorguk says:

Think of all those wonderful bacteria covering the finger/hand print readers in airports.