Fanboy Supercuts, Obsessive Video Montages

This is hypnotic:

It's also pretty good if you play them both at the same time.

Annoyingly, most of these have been pulled already, e.g. "House: every 'lupus' reference": This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by NBC Universal.

Fuck you, NBC Universal. How do you imagine that nuking this video helps your bottom line? "Gosh, I was going to watch House, but now that I've seen all the lupus references at once, I guess I won't bother."

Tags: , ,

1. dr_memory says:

How do you imagine that nuking this video helps your bottom line?

"OH NOES, SOMEONE IS WATCHING OUR CONTENT WITHOUT AN ADVERTISER PAYING US FOR THE PRIVILEGE!!!!111"

Note: I'm not saying that this is in any way intelligent. Actually, I'm saying that this post should have had a "doomed" tag.

2. editer says:

They have surely been advised by their lawyers that if they don't vigorously guard their copyrighted material they will have less recourse in pursuit of content pirates. And the lawyers are probably right about how it shakes out in court. I suspect the system is more to blame than NBCU. Which is not to say any of this is good.

• loftwyr says:

I can see it now, first they allow bits and then longer bits and then suddenly whole episodes being for free!

it's madness I tell you!

• fnivramd says:

There's no reason why their lawyers would offer such an opinion. Selective enforcement is completely OK in copyright and patent law, it's only a problem for a trademark. By selective enforcement I mean it's legally not a problem to chase Bill, Terry and Mike for infringing your rights, while turning a blind eye to Harry, Samantha and Oswald doing the exact same thing. It's your privilege as copyright holder to make these decisions.

I think it is much more likely that a very low level drone has the job of searching Youtube and filing the necessary paperwork for infringing Youtube videos, and nuances like "this seems harmless" are above their pay grade, so everything gets the axe.

Where by "this seems harmless" you mean "legal, non-infringing fair use", whereby Youtube takes action on this legal advice from some unpaid, uninformed and incompetent legal intern -- yeah.

We're fucking doomed.

• noweb4u says:

They probably take the advice from every boring ass lawyer out there:

Them: "So we are totally in the right leaving this up, right?"
          Lawyer: "Well, sort of."
          Them: "What do you mean "sort of"?"
          Lawyer: "Well, NBCU is one of the largest corporations on the planet, and their legal team alone is larger than your ad sales force. You may win, but lord knows what it will take to get that win."
          Them: "Well, is there any downside to taking it down?"
          Lawyer: "People will think you're a bunch of pussy douchebags but they'll get over it"
          Them: "Well, fuuuuuuck that, we're pulling it"
          Lawyer: "Not a bad idea. You can leave my $200 on the dresser."

3. cdavies says:

I sat through two minutes of that shit, and I didn't even get the "SAY WHAT AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER!" payoff. I feel cheated.

4. wyndebreaker says:

Maybe if they included a commercial from the show's sponsors in between every time, they wouldn't have a problem.

5. ultranurd says:

I agree, the simultaneous dude-what-dude-what viewing of both is quite amusing. (Although it helps to skip to about :25 on the right to skip the intro.)

6. elusis says:

The breathing bits from All Things Considered made my skin crawl.

7. cfs_calif says: