You have a nice day too, Sir.

Monday around 6pm, netik and I were biking West on Harrison on the right side when a car passed me on the left, within a few inches. I had enough time to think, "Hey, that was close", look forward, and yell "Look out!" before the car's mirror hit netik's handle bar from behind and sent him tumbling. The guy kept driving. I chased after the car, pulled up to his window and said, "Hey! You just hit that guy!" He look at me and said, in a calm deadpan, "Really? That's just terrible." And then he drove off.

netik has a giant bruise, but isn't hurt badly, and his bike is ok. Knowing him, had this guy stopped and been even slightly apologetic, there probably wouldn't even have been a police report. But instead, the driver chose to turn it into a felony hit and run, with three witnesses, a paramedic report, and a photo of his license plate.

Enjoy your upcoming lack of a driver's license, loss of insurance, $1,000 to $10,000 fine, and possible jail time, scumbag.

I couldn't help but notice that his other mirror was held on with packing tape, so apparently bouncing his car off of things isn't new to him.

Update: This story did not end well.

Tags: , ,

1. netik says:

Enhance, 10, 25

2. merovingian says:

Got it by a drunken hit and run driver once. For a moment, I felt bad about the fact that she'd probably get a lot of jail time and lose her vehicle.

Then I realized, "Wait, no, that drunken bitch just left me for dead!"

Anyway, glad the injuries weren't too bad.

• solarbird says:

Fuck yeah this. I got hit-and-run while out biking and was left unconscious and bleeding in the street, after which I spent nine days unconscious in the fucking ICU. Got any idea how expensive that was, even with insurance? The hearing in my left ear is permanently fucked up from the injuries, too. (Fortunately not too badly, I don't need a hearing aid. But HI I SURE DO LIKE THIS WHITE NOISE.)

I hope this fucker gets jail time. As much as possible. Fuck him and everybody like him.

• lafinjack says:

If I'm ever able to bike everywhere, I'm totally figuring out how to fix some kind of wheel-powered video camera to the underside of my seat.

Until then, wide berth and mad props, yo, etc.

3. poitoi says:

I'm glad you both are OK and that that asshat got what was coming to him.

OOO! and expired registration for the trifecta!!

4. 0ntological says:

OMG! It's really comforting to know that some of these assholes actually get caught. Go you, and I'm glad you're all ok!

5. cattycritic says:

Hope they get him soon. Better still if he actually learns a hard lesson from it, but more likely he'll just blame it all on everyone else.

6. remix79 says:

Awesome. Please post the results of this event as well. I really hope he gets nailed by the judge.

• encapsulate says:

Please don't tell the other Portlanders about this...

• remix79 says:

Wellllllllll....maybe only as anecdotal evidence. :) *runs off to type up an inflammatory post* Nah, not going to.

• _fool says:

ha, i found out via a los angelesian jwz groupie. the word is out on the nets, and we are all neighbors.

good show, btw, on chasing him down and calling the cops, jwz and netik! glad you're ok and the offender will be suffering some Consequences.

7. colubra says:

I'm glad to hear that netik is OK! Sheesh, some drivers are real assholes.

8. laurent_atl says:

good to hear nobody got seriously injured. hope you get a picture of this guy crying after his court date.

9. I was a witness to a hit and run a couple of years ago. When I saw the car hit the pedestrian, I pulled over, stopped, and ran to the man crumpled in the street. While I was doing so, I was thinking I had my camera in my pocket, and should shoot the car's plate. But I saw that the car had pulled over, so I focused on the pedestrian instead.

And a second later, the stopped car pulled out and raced away.

I should have gone with my first impulse, and shot his plate.

• agentotter says:

I had much the same experience in a vehicular hit and run when I was just a wee bairn... car ran a stop sign and hit me, pulled over, and while I was having a total freakout (16 yrs old and first accident ever ;)), he caught sight of the cop at the end of the block and booked it. The cop witnessed the accident, pursued the guy, pulled over what I'm sure was the right car but thought the damage was on the wrong side of it and let them go. :-/ i had my camera in the car and wish like hell that instead of freaking out I'd known what to do.

10. revsphynx says:

Maybe that's a vanity plate and those 2 middle letters are on purpose?

Glad everyone is ok.

11. gfish says:

Oh man, take him down. No mercy for asshat motorists.

12. ammutbite says:

Hope he gets prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law. Running after being informed of what happened makes this a willfull act of an egotistical sociopath, and thus not worthy of any compassion. What an utter POS.

13. mooflyfoof says:

That's awesome. I mean, not awesome that John was hit and the guy was a complete dick about it. But I'm glad John is ok and it's fantastic that you guys are sticking it to him so thoroughly. He deserve everything he gets.

14. dr_memory says:

Jesus christ, what a month for netik. Glad to hear he's okay.

Post pictures of the perp at the sentencing.

15. roninspoon says:

More than 10 years ago now, I hit a bicyclist with my car. I was making a right hand turn onto a street with a center barrier to divide traffic. I looked to my right to check for pedestrians, saw none, looked to my left, waited for a car, and then pulled out into traffic. Almost immediately, there was a loud bump, and I immediately stopped and got out. My car was old, and shitty, and I thought maybe something had fallen off it.

When I got out and came around the back of the car, I saw the bicyclists for the first time, laying in the street tangled up with his bike. I was in shock, I had never seen the guy. I started to run towards the guy, who was about 15 feet away, to see if he was alright. My mind was awash with all the shit I was in, and I still couldn't figure out where he had come from.

I called out to the dude, "Hey! Hey man!" and as soon as he saw me, he coming towards him, he jumped up, grabbed his bike, and started running away. I chased him for about 50 yards, but even laden with a bicycle he easily out ran my crippled ass. Now I was in shock, and perplexed. My world didn't have room in it for me being the kind of person who would hit a guy on a bicycle while driving, and I had no idea why he was running.

I stood in the street for a few minutes going over the details of the incident with my friend who had been in the passenger seat. He told me that the bicyclist had come barreling towards us on the sidewalk from the right side. Just before I pulled out, the bicyclist had given me the finger, a wasted gesture I did not see, and can't determine the motivation for. Then he cut in front of me as I let off the brake.

As the fellow disappeared around the corner of an apartment building a block away, I reasoned that he was evidently uninjured, and went about my day. I've always felt kinda bad about it though, and I've never been able to figure out what really happened.

• dr_memory says:

99.99999% probability he was carrying drugs or a weapon (or an outstanding warrant for one of the above) and couldn't risk being talked to by the police.

• elusis says:

This happened to me once in Denver, only it was a cyclist riding on the sidewalk who slammed into the side of my car as I exited an alley. I got out and tried to see if he was OK but he freaked out and rode off. Then I got yelled at by a pedestrian for "leaving the scene" when I started to drive away. I was like "dude, he's already three blocks away!"

My spidey-senses suggested that the cyclist may have been tweaking or otherwise high, and didn't want to have any contact with the Boys in Blue.

• agentotter says:

My worst accident ever (okay, I've only had a couple, but still) was similar. I was making a turn and stopped in time to not hit the cyclist I hadn't seen, but he didn't stop in time and hit the side of my car. I felt horrible, especially when the cops showed up and started interrogating me about my drinking habits (I didn't have any; still don't drink!). Turns out the guy was completely wasted and the smell of alcohol was from the Big Gulp container he'd been carrying that was full of beer. I got a ticket, and he spent the night in jail for outstanding warrants, because he was too drunk to get up and book it post-accident. I still feel kind of bad about that -- and horrible about the accident itself, which was at least 90% my fault -- and am hyper-vigilant about bicyclists now, so I guess some good came of it...

• haaaychiq says:

Per the "This American Life" episode where the guy hit and killed a bicyclist through no fault of his own (http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=359), people involved in accidents like this - ones where someone else is hurt but it's not the driver's fault - actually feel *worse* about it than people who err horribly (i.e., drunk drivers), because the people who screwed up know exactly how to avoid the accident next time, whereas people to whom the accident "just happened" know that it can happen any time, and anywhere. Sorry for the emotional trauma; I ride my bike and I actually try hard to protect myself, so hopefully there won't be any "barreling into turning vehicles from the sidewalk" incidents...

16. chaobell says:

What the actual fuck?

Props for having the presence of mind to get a picture. I hope he gets nailed as hard as the law allows. I have no sympathy whatsoever for hit-and-run drivers--especially when they're assholes about it like this one was.

17. tehdely says:

I hate to break it to you, but the SFPD won't do a goddamn thing.

I was hit and run by a driver on Market St. in broad daylight last June. I got his plates, and several witnesses were able to describe the car. I went through all the motions of making a police report, and I was told, rather bluntly, that the SFPD was uninterested in doing anything and that I had to sue the driver. They were so kind as to run his plates and inform me that he had no insurance and an expired registration, but didn't seem the slightest bit interested in getting him off the road.

Kamala Harris is a worthless DA, and my hat's off to netik if he gets any sort of justice out of this.

• lilmissnever says:

If a civil suit turns out to be even slightly worthwhile, I may pursue it just for kicks.

• perligata says:

If this is true, we should tell ABC that this guy's car is a nightclub.

• bifrosty2k says:

Kamala Harris is a worthless DA

AMEN! We need to go back to having the Police and the DA enforce the law and only the law. We don't give a shit about social justice, we want the law enforced.

• tehdely says:

Don't confuse me with SFGate commenters (the kind who surface any time a crime is committed to bitch about the DA and, without fail, the sanctuary city policy, which I support btw.). I say she's worthless because the SFPD themselves told me there was no point pursuing the case since the DA wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I think that's downright ridiculous.

• bifrosty2k says:

I've been critical of her for a long time, she fails to prosecute crime, its just that simple. And yes, it is ridiculous.

• strspn says:

There are a whole lot of ironies in this world, like, for example, the fact that abstinence-only sex ed leads to more teen pregnancies than the alternative. And I admit as much as anyone that some of them are really hard to understand the causality as it ripples through the psychosocial fabric. So please consider this question with an open mind:

Could it be that the social justice agenda is better at lowering crime rates than the alternative law-and-order, short-sharp-shock approach?

• terpsichoros says:

If you consider "the city has finally reached full staffing levels, adding more than 400 patrol officers to bring the total full-time policing staff to 1,971 officers" part of the social justice agenda, sure.

• kragen says:

ISTM that if the SFPD fails to arrest the guy and give Kamala a chance to prosecute him, that's their fault, not hers. They're not really in a position to guess what your relationship with her is and what kind of pressure you can bring to bear to get her to prosecute, are they? But they are in a position to not do their job and blame it on her, helping out whoever her opponent is in the next election.

• elusis says:

Dang, that is freaking pathetic. I hope this case goes differently.

• jered says:

It could be worse. Based on this article, if you were in NY then the NYPD would charge you with damage to the guy's car.

18. baconmonkey says:

Ed, Mollie, David, Ed again, John...
    Fuck, I'm next.
    please let it be "shins bruised by a stroller"

• erg says:

We'll just have to surround you, no matter where you go.

Glad J is okay but someone tell me that days later the bruising is all it's turned out to be. Crossing fingers for that much.

19. bifrosty2k says:

I swear we need a special test to let people drive in SF...
    So many assholes in/on vehicles with wheels who really need a good smacking with the LART.

20. zorinlynx says:

I've had several close calls already when biking, to the point that I don't even like to ride on roads with fast traffic anymore. What's worst is when there's no traffic, and the idiots decide to pass you with inches to spare when they have a whole other lane they can pass you in.

Lately I ride several feet from the curb. Enough that I can glance back to see if a car is going to pass me too close, and shift to the right if so. I really hate living in a city that hardly has any bike lanes, no bike trails anywhere near me, and such inconsiderate, rude drivers.

21. substitute says:

So glad you got the plate.

22. tcpip says:

Best wishes to netik in this just fight.

23. ribbin says:

Hey,

Saw this on boingboing. That's just ridiculous! Good luck getting it pushed through.

-Anselm/Ribbin

24. dasht says:

I don't ride in The City so I really don't know how bad it is but one thing that mostly works pretty well in the parts of Berkeley where I ride is to Take The Fucking Lane. Especially if there are two of you together just take the lane and move right if an only if you are in a peaceful negotiation with a sane driver. I'll bet this advice is really sketch for The City and that angry asshats will give you shit anyway but it works around here.

The two biggest complaints I've come up with around here are (a) other cyclists doing stupid things (my wife got to watch a cyclist hit a pedestrian recently); (b) at intersections, cars that come screeching to a halt to let you cross in the opposing direction even though they have the right of way and if they kept going you could smoothly travel behind them (to which the proper response is a friendly shrug, wave of thanks, smile, and clear the intersection while cursing under your breath about how other Bad Cyclists conditioned those drivers to be so paranoid).

The one exception to (b) - again, in the far, far tamer streets of Berkeley - are the commercial drivers and city vehicle drivers (the white vans and the cars with city logos on them). Most of them will stop cold for anything and everything in an excess of caution that it is hard to say much against.

Damn, we have it good in Berkeley (mostly) wrt cars and bikes.

-t

• jkow says:

In Berlin that would either get you killed or you'd go deaf by the honking of cars. Non of it sounds very comforting. ;-)

• tkil says:

While I appreciate the sentiment of "take the lane", you're far more likely to avoid getting hurt on a bike by obeying the two golden rules of bicycling:

1. Ride as though no-one else can see you.

2. Ride as though everyone else is out to get you.

I don't ride as much as I used to, but I've been everything from a daily commuter to a weekend warrior, and I've been hit by a moving vehicle exactly once. (On a bike path, of course.)

(I also feel my history / experience gives me the right to cuss out cyclists who fail to understand when the laws of traffic as well as the laws of physics are against them...)

• pavel_lishin says:

You've read Neal Stephenson's "Zodiac", haven't you. :P

• strspn says:

If you had any actual statistical evidence that biking in the lane wasn't the safest course of action without a sufficiently wide bike lane, I suppose you would have stated it. I am confident that you are not only wrong per traffic statistics and bicycle traffic best practices, but also that my history / experience gives me the right to cuss you out for supporting al Qaida and Texas with petrodollars, as well as flooding out the planet with CO2.

• tkil says:

Hm. Maybe I should have phrased things a bit better. The things I listed as "golden rules" are, in fact, the impetus to make yourself and your intentions clear, visible, and unavoidable. If you have no bike lane, then obviously you can take enough lane so you're safe -- and if the car lane is so narrow that there's not room for a car and a bike, then you end up taking the lane.

My "rules" are as much an attitude as anything else. I'm not saying "try to be invisible"; rather, I was trying to say: "no matter how much you work to be visible, drivers will eventually act as though they don't see you."

Does that phrasing make it a bit more palatable?

And as for cussing out cyclists... I don't do it for taking the lane. (Unless they're being dicks about it by not using turnouts and letting faster traffic by -- but I bitch about drivers who have the same failings, it's not a criticism of "vehicular cycling".)

I'm more annoyed by the sense of entitlement that far too many cyclists tend to grow: they think that they can take ignore the law whenever it suits them. Again, I'm not talking about cyclists taking full lanes: I'm fully aware that we have the same privileges and duties as car drivers, and I hold them to both halves of that statement. Too many cyclists want the privileges without worrying about obeying the rules of the road. I don't know if Berkeley suffers from this, but my yardstick for this is Boulder, CO...

As for gas usage ... I drove a Prius until I sold it earlier this year, and I haven't replaced it yet -- so I'm doing most of my small trips on bike again. (And at this point, I'm planning on getting a newer Prius, so...)

• strspn says:

Sure, that's much better. But you really want me to believe that someone who initially raised the idea of verbal agression against cyclists on the road is actually a cyclist?

• tkil says:

Believe what you want. The truth? I've been cycling since 1984 or so. I rode my bike as primary transportation for all of high school and college (and I did the long-term bachelor's, so that was until 1995). There were periods in there where I was doing 30-70 mile loops on weekends. I did combined bike / bus commuting from Denver to Boulder for a year or two in 1996-7 (and then biked to a job in downtown Denver for a few months after that.) I biked for most of the 3 years I was in Fort Collins.

I've biked in snow and ice in Colorado; in summer humidity (and afternoon sleet storms) in Austin, TX; inland and coastal San Diego, CA; and now I'm on the bike a few times a week here in Albuquerque, either short trips with my stepsons, or the occasional longer trip (including a nice 20mi nighttime ride a few months back.)

Obviously I'm not a hardcore bike messenger, nor am I some marathon long-distance rider; I've also not spent much time in congested downtown areas (but I have spent some, and sometimes in bad conditions -- Denver during the winter, for example).

In all that time, I've only been hit once, as I said (it was in 1988 or so, on the bike path by New Mexico State University -- and ever since then, I rode on the road, regardless that the laws at the time tried to force cyclists onto the path.) I've only ever been yelled at once, too: I had to take a freeway ramp to get over a river (somewhere in SW Austin, back in the early '90s, IIRC). And even that was just a throw-away comment; I think I even waved (non-ironically).

My "verbal aggression", in fact, is the exact same "cursing under my breath" that I do to other drivers -- and that's with the windows up. I yell at cyclists quite a bit more when I'm on my bike ("ride on the right!"). To try to rephrase it again: I feel that I have a good feel for the craft of bicycle riding (especially casual, touring, and commuting; less so racing / drafting / long-distance); when I see someone attempting that same craft, but doing so in a way that puts themselves or others at risk, I will sometimes comment on it.

Sorry that I condensed that down to "cussing them out".

Anyway. Some obviously doctored photos to feed your conspiracy theories:

(I'm the dork in the ABA jersey...)

The obvious counterpoint to this is that in any collision between a car and a bike, the bike loses and the car barely notices. This is a rather dramatic mass-based power differential that tends to excuse bad behavior on the part of bikes more than on cars. They are not in equal positions. So if I have to break the law to protect myself physically -- e.g. by riding on sidewalks when the only available road seems too dangerous -- I'm going to do that.

I also practice the Assumption of Invisibility.

• tkil says:

Oh, I agree (and I end up on the sidewalk sometimes myself, even here in small-town Albuquerque).

My complaints are about cyclists that:

1. decide that, for this crossing, they'll be pedestrians -- and all the nice motor vehicles will stop for them as they cut in front of traffic;

2. believe that they can run orange (if not redd lights) in front of traffic, because they think everyone has to yield to them;

3. ride 3-4 riders abreast, taking a whole lane that could otherwise easily accomodate a motor vehicle and a bicycle...

And so forth. I suppose I have my own definition of "sane bicyclist", but if someone is behaving according to that definition, I have no problem with them. And my "sane bicyclist" definition definitely breaks the letter of the law in many cases (sidewalks, as you mention, but also not necessarily coming to a full stop at stop signs if there's no other traffic, etc.) Mostly it has to do with situational awareness and courtesy; 99.9% of the time, motor vehicles have responded in kind.

I think I was trying to be "ha ha only serious" in my first comment, and the "ha ha" didn't come through as clearly as I intended. Sorry about the noise.

Happy (and safe!) bicycling!

• 1 and 2, yes, drive me crazy. As for point 3, a single biker is allowed to take the lane; if 3-4 abreast want to do it, I have no problem with that; it will work out better all around than a singleton.

I hate the common San Francisco biker practice of running every stop sign and stop light. It really drains what sympathy I do have for bikers.

A while back I passed a couple of bikers in the bike lane on Valencia, merged into the bike line ahead of them in preparation for a right turn, signalled, waited for peds to cross, and just as I started to move, was completely unsurprised that the bikers cut me off, passed me to my right into the crosswalk I was turning across, forcing me to brake hard. Pace jwz, that's not "breaking the law to protect themselves physically" -- they could have passed me on my left and taken the lane if they were in such a fucking hurry. What they did was the most dangerous thing they possibly could.

• terpsichoros says:

"Taking the lane" is a response to #1. Doesn't do much about #2, but #2 is less supported by drivers' behavior than #1.

I spent a year riding to high school on Treat Boulevard in Concord - quite often the stretch right before Oak Grove Road I'd take the lane (bike lane ended), and only rarely got honks or rude gestures, and never got hit.

• lionsphil says:

It's called vehicular cycling and seems to be pretty popular over here—I practice it. I'm actually surprised by how few irate motorists it attracts, but that's probably not at all comparable to the centre of a busy American city.

And I really wish, when driving, that all other cyclists would do the same. The "I'm not a car, so I can just weave through these queues!" types are all accidents waiting to happen. Especially the ones who are apparently completely blind to indicators.

• johnridley says:

Taking the lane works here (Michigan). Stops most close passes, cars wait until it's actually safe to pass.

• strspn says:

Seconded! I ride in the city solo, and I always feel (and know statistically that I'm) much safer in the lane than trying to play driver-side-door roulette in the erstwhile bike lanes.

So occasionally someone will honk. I just use the "caution" gesture, holding my left arm out and down about 30 degrees from vertical, and then waive them around me. The worst that ever happens is they rev engines passing. Better than biking into a door-opener.

I think a lot of bikers get over-conscientious about the internal combustion vehicles. Just remember they're supporting al Qaida and Texans with petrodollars, and you aren't. :D

• lionsphil says:

In defence of the drivers, sometimes revving the engine is an unavoidable side-effect of wanting to pass quickly and safely (given the tendency for cyclists around here to dive into runs of empty parking spaces to let traffic pass, it's particularly important if you don't want to box them in). Cyclists aren't horses so shouldn't really spook when a waved-past car takes advantage of the invitation.

• Spent a decade biking a lot in the city (commuting, recreation, whatever), and that's more or less the principle I follow. More specifically: if it's not safe for cars to pass you, don't make it look like they can. You do have to pay enough attention to your surroundings to know whether it's safe for cars to pass you, because your lane position is basically body language, from which drivers will take their cue. Of course, you still have to assume that any given driver is an idiot, not paying attention, or borderline sociopathic, and present yourself accordingly.

25. damien_wise says:

That's absolutely vile. I hope the jerk gets thrown in gaol for this.
    Glad to hear you and netik weren't seriously injured.

26. genericvox says:

Ughhh... glad your friend isn't badly injured. I certainly hope justice is served. I have witnessed something similar happen to a kid, I don't think he was any older than about 12 or 13... unfortunately, I was so worried about getting the kid to safety that I wasn't able to get a photo, and had been able to make out only the first letters.

This was in my old neighboorhood, not some busy highway. Just a kid riding his bike on the side of the road near home. I also saw a couple bad accidents... people would run the stop sign on the corner, hit someone who had the right of way, get out unharmed and ditch their own car (as well as the other, sometimes injured, party).

I don't live there anymore.

27. I just popped across your story on boingboing.
    Amazing that you snapped a pic of the asshat's license plate.
    I've almost been hit so many times on my bicycle. It infuriating. I don't know what I would do if I were to actually get hit. If I caught up with that guy I'd probably do something stupid like punch him (if the window was down).

28. dvicci says:

Well played, sir. The only thing I don't like about this is that it happened at all. Your handling of it, and presence of mind get snap that plate, are spot on. Bravo. My only request is that you post an update when there is one.

29. sinboy says:

Yikes. You got Boing Boinged. If you post a followup IDing the person once you find out who hit poor netik, the jerk behind the wheel may get karmic comeuppance pretty quick.

I hope the bruise fades soon and there's no long term damage.

30. amaranthyne says:

I'm glad to hear the whole story, particularly the fact that John wasn't hurt badly! (and that his bike is ok, which was to be my next question)

Nice work on your part, both trying to establish communication and getting a visual record - fast camera-on-a-bike skills!

I didn't actually take the picture, one of our witnesses did, and MMS'ed it to me.

See, I have a Palm Pre, and if I had pulled it out of my pocket and tried to take a photo, I would have still been standing there in the middle of the street trying to get the photo app to launch and become responsive 30 to 45 seconds later, and the car would have been a block away already.

• amaranthyne says:

hahahaha!

That makes a lot more sense - the clarity on the photo seems a bit too miraculous to have been shot from a bike on a mission!

• strspn says:

I would re-recommend a G1, which it turns out has a pretty decent and very responsive camera after this last update (fewer sqllite collision 1000 milisecond waits, too, thanks maybe to this blog.) However, I realize that if I did so, they would immediately close the Android Marketplace to the vast amount of free software in it now and tell you that you would need to recompile the kernel if you want to submit daliclock.

I tried a G1 in the store shortly after it came out, and my reaction to the software was, "well, this is a joke. Call me when it's out of pre-alpha." Everyone I've said that to since who owns one says, "yeah... well... it's a little better now, but not much... It's kind of almost ok."

• lifftchi says:

That was actually my biggest question. Thanks for clearing that up.

• phreddiva says:

Fuck, I was wondering which fancy phone you had that would take the picture that quickly. My Palm takes about as long to load the photo app.

31. _candide_ says:

Just an indirect response, in case any of the BoingBoing crowd try to defend this asshat with the usual 4-year-old response of, "But … but … cyclists are bad and aggressive too."

No. Bicycle messengers who are paid by the message, are aggressive in the crowded cities.

The rest of the cycling world in cities with bike lanes (like Boulder, CO, where I went to grad school) start out polite and follow the traffic laws (except maybe at night on dead streets). Then, after the fourth or fifth near-miss with some puke-pile driving their house-car, we turn angry.

So let me put it down sharply: shitpiles like this guy who hit a cyclist and ran create car-hostile bicyclists.

32. _lj_sucks_ says:

I got hit by a driver once who didn't run. She'd been trying to overtake while I was turning, had belatedly seen an oncoming truck, and had decided to drive into me instead of slowing down. I ended up with a broken arm. When I said I'd need her insurance details, she threatened to sue me for damaging her car and refused to give me the info, so it turned into a police report.

I got to go to court in case I was needed to give evidence. She didn't even bother to turn up for her court appearance, so they gave her the maximum penalty.

Anyway, go get 'im.

33. In the event that the police/da fuck this up and your only recourse is
    a civil suit, you might want to clarify that netik -appears- ok at the
    moment; and that while his bike is superficially ok, it has not been
    carefully inspected for damage by a trained mechanic.

34. samildanach says:

I hope you take him down, but at least in Seattle, having the plates isn't sufficient. In our accident last month, the police weren't able to find the guy even with the number and sworn witnesses.

35. elanswer says:

He had intended to hit you guys from the start.

36. biggeek says:

I know I've been a naughty, irresponsible cyclist for not wearing my helmet because it doesn't fit right, is uncomfortable and make me look like a penis.

But for whatever reason this incident got me off my ass and down to Mike's Bikes. Finally after 1/2 hour of trying shit on, I bought a decent brain bucket that actually fits.

Good luck to netik...Make that asshole pay.

37. pflanze says:

FWIW, one of the "best of craigslist" postings happens to be about a hit and run case, too: "You're the Hasidic Jew who tried to kill me. I'm the girl on the bike"

38. azurelunatic says:

Saw this via sfist; here's hoping he gets nailed to the wall.

39. rolodexter says:

Nice shot of the plate
    Caught the story on NY Times

40. Jamie, any update on this? Sounds like good fodder for Streetsblog NYC, they tend to follow up with the NYPD about this stuff. NYPD has a habit of not doing anything, and the continued publicity of their lack of.. y'know.. enforcing actual safety helps get us there. Ever so slowly.

Be safe!

No, last I heard, John has been spending a lot of time on hold with SFPD and getting no response.

• D'oh! For some reason I had it in my head that you were in NYC. Bugger about the PD resistance, but persistence and a little publicity can go a long way.