"I Will Break Your Fucking Camera"

My theory is that the fine people of 555 California are just sad that they don't get enough flashmobs.

"I Will Break Your Fucking Camera"

"I had heard that the security guards at 555 California were unappreciative of photography. I mentioned this to Stuart and we agreed that these types of rules were silly and served no real purpose. So we decided to check it out and within a few moments several security guards greeted us with wagging fingers and walkie-talkies.

"No photography, they stated clearly. Why, we responded. Safety, they said.

"I decided to challenge this statement and the older of the bunch (left) asked me if I wanted to be punched in the face. No, I replied, I have to go back to work and a black eye would make things awkward for me. He then asked me how I would feel if he broke my camera. I told him I would be bummed, but that I needed an upgrade and if he touched me or my camera I would seek monetary legal action to the extent of a brand new Canon 5D Mark II."

Previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. What in the fuck?

2. And now I want a photog flashmob. One hundred people with cameras--big cameras, little cameras, digital cameras, disposable cameras--all in socks and Birkenstocks, the quintessential tourist being threatened with bodily harm by rent-a-cops.

3. cryptomail says:

Carnelian room needs a flashmob to show up there for dinner, IMO :)

4. Holy shit WHAT. I would love to participate in a flash mob of this.

5. djmermaid says:

welp, looks like the terrorists have already won down at 555!

6. baconmonkey says:

I am going to pull it up on google street view and take photos of my monitor.

Though it seems their head of security has been alerted.

7. mysterc says:

1. The guy on the right applied to work for me at the FB. I said no.
    2. Next time ask for their guard cards and the name of the company they work for. When they refuse (and they will) call the department of consumer affairs that licenses them and watch a buerocracy do what its supposed to.
    3. Call me so I can watch the fallout.
    4. Videotape the entire incident so I can include it I my future "don't be a dumbshit" training video.

8. pixel_juice says:

Is that Vince from Dexter?

9. leolo says:

One camera, 3 goons. There should be some sort of competition to see how many goons one could summon with a single camera.

10. photographer says:

I'm passing this building every day on my way from work to home. How about the flash mob ~5:20pm this Monday (October 26, 2009)? I can bring a scary huge camera.

11. hadlock says:

Is there a data center in the 555 california building or something? The only time I've ever been shooed off property before by security was the SBC (I guess AT&T now?) building in downtown dallas, where I guess they have a lot of trunk switches. They weren't rude, but I was assigned a polite guard who followed me around and kept asking me to leave while I was taking pictures with my old school 35mm SLR. This was in 2006 or so.

12. I agree with your theory, Jamie. Judging by their body language, most of them look like they get off on playing the tough guys. Schoolyard bullies all growed up.

13. violentbloom says:

that's weird my old gym was in that building.. I'm sure I had my camera with me a number of times.
    And when we were looking for a venue for our xmas party for work we checked out the carnelian room...and I took lots of pictures from up there. We did have to sign in to get up there, and they were oh so serious about it. The camera seemed unimportant. Though those guards look unfamiliar.