SoundExchange

I can't make any sense of what this new SoundExchange settlement actually means for DNA Lounge. Is someone going to come knocking on my door asking for an additional $25,000 per year because of our webcasts? Given that A) we are already paying ASCAP/SESAC/BMI for them, and B) the webcasts produce zero revenue. If you think you understand this crap, please explain it to me...
Tags: , , ,

1. keimel says:

I have encountered new agreements (From SE) for webcasting as well and have no reason to think there is anyone aside from a lawyer writing them nor how they'll actually promote any artist in any way. I am sure that our agreement is different from you, just due to the nature of the non-commercial beast I am dealing with.

I know how you hate non-explanatory comments when you're asking for explanations, but damn it, they simply don't make sense. None of these agreements do anymore.

2. strspn says:

As your non-attorney, I advise you to be glad you worked out a contract before this settlement.

3. octal says:

It's only for "pureplay" broadcasters; not even online broadcasters with live djs.

I am assuming most of your revenue does not come from webcasts.

4. kencf0618 says:

This is why Creative Commons license templates have this bit at the bottom:

This is a human-readable summary of the Legal Code (the full license).

5. supersat says:

IANAL, and I haven't even listened to the DNA Lounge's streams (helpful, I know). But, if you're broadcasting live music, I doubt the SoundExchange settlement means anything for you (since they only deal with performance rights of sound recordings, not the songs themselves).

6. mhoye says:

I don't either, but the fact that somebody is crowing that the "Royalty Crisis is over" is guarantee that all reasonable people should be feeling The Fear.