In only approximate order of favoriteness, here is my year-end wrap-up. As in previous years, a few of the entries on the following list were released earlier than 2008, but that is when I discovered them, so I'm allowing a little slack (but less slack than in previous years!) In 2008, I acquired roughly the same amount of new music as I did last year, but this year a lot more of it was recently-released: roughly 230 new releases and 100ish old ones.
I think all of these bands have made appearances on the jwz mixtapes this year.
I spent a week trying to write a couple of sentences about each of these telling you why you should listen to them, like I did in each of the last seven years (!!) but you know what? That's a pain in the ass, and I'm not really very good at writing about music. I'm not convinced any of you read this crap anyway. So, instead, here's a list of roughly forty albums that were released roughly last year that you should listen to because I loved them and you trust me.
I feel a little bad about doing it this way, because I know that when I come across someone's un-annotated list of favorite music, even I am less likely to click the links, and I'm a near-pathologically compulsive seeker of new music. But, if you've been listening to my mixtapes, you know what kind of things I like, and you've already heard all of these anyway.
Here, then, is the new.
- Lykke Li - "Youth Novels"
- The Ting Tings - "We Started Nothing"
- Robots in Disguise - "We're In the Music Biz"
- Brazilian Girls - "New York City"
- The Kills - "Midnight Boom"
- Minipop - "A New Hope"
- Los Campesinos! - "Hold On Now, Youngster" & "We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed"
- Fujiya & Miyagi - "Lightbulbs"
- Say Hi To Your Mom - "The Wishes and the Glitch"
- M83 - "Saturdays = Youth"
- Ladyhawke - "Ladyhawke"
- Jem - "Down to Earth"
- The Dresden Dolls - "No, Virginia" & Amanda Palmer - "Who Killed Amanda Palmer"
- Twinkle - "Le Jouet"
- Tricky - "Knowle West Boy"
- New Young Pony Club - "Fantastic Playroom"
- The Presets - "Apocalypso"
- Ladytron - "Velocifero"
- Kerli - "Love is Dead"
- Stars - "In Our Bedroom After the War"
- Shiny Toy Guns - "Season of Poison"
- Portishead - "Third"
- Love Is All - "A Hundred Things Keep Me Up At Night"
- School of Seven Bells - "Alpinisms"
- Santogold - "Santogold"
- Brassy - "Gettin Wise"
- The Oohlas - "Best Stop Pop"
- Bella - "No One Will Know"
- The Long Blondes - "Couples"
- Be Your Own Pet - "Get Awkward"
- Blood Red Shoes - "Box of Secrets"
- I Heart Hiroshima - "Tuff Teef"
- The Death Set - "Worldwide"
- The Duke Spirit - "Neptune"
- Alina Simone - "Placelessness"
- LCD Soundsystem - "Sound of Silver"
- Duchess Says - "Anthologie des 3 Perchoirs"
- The Dollyrots - "Because I'm Awesome"
- The Ettes - "Look At Life Again Soon"
- Plastic Operator - "Different Places"