mixtape 059

Please enjoy jwz mixtape 059. It is, as has become typical, mostly new stuff with a smattering of old stuff that the new stuff reminded me of. I'll let you in on a little secret: usually I have one or two mixtapes in the queue, because that's less pressure. Yeah, I post the one I prepared last week, and then work on the one two weeks out. Does that make you feel cheated? Well, this time I drained the queue* and so this week's mixtape was actually made this very afternoon. Perhaps you will find it more "authentic". Anyway, I did subject it to the "nap test", where I played it very loud while taking an hour and a half nap before a night of drinking. I found that it passed that test very nicely. I hope you agree. What will next week's mixtape hold? EVEN I DON'T KNOW. Blue sky, people. Blue sky.

* That's what she said.

Tags: , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. discogravy says:

suggestion for 060: a single 60-minute block of ethel merman.

2. romulusnr says:

Being able to sleep to it cranked at high volume doesn't seem like a stellar endorsement.

Then again, I guess it depends on whether you sleep better on a country farm or in a wrecking yard.

I think that being able to sleep through it indicates that none of the transitions are jarring. Also, it doesn't cause nightmares. But I sleep with music on all the time.

3. squirrelonlj says:

Are your mixtapes supposed to make the listeners tired and take a nap? Because that happens almost every time, about 40 minutes in*.

*That is not an insult.

4. jered says:

I really wanted to like "This is how you spell..." but it's failing for me. I'll have to try harder. I just feel like it's not living up to its potential.

Not relevant to this mix so much as earlier ones, but what's your opinion on The Black Ghosts? It's the Simian guys who didn't become Simian Mobile Disco. The most listen-worthy is "Any Way You Choose To Give It", which has a pretty rocking video too:

5. Oh man, I haven't finished listening to all of it yet, but that's my FAVORITE Psapp track EVER EVER.

6. waider says:

Wow, I think this is possibly my favourite mixtape ever. It's not 100% stuff I like, but there's enough there to make me want to go back and listen a few more times.

• ultranurd says:

Yes, this is one of my favorites so far; in particular the generally mellow sound made it seem like one single extended mix.

(A few weeks behind.)