mixtape 047

Please enjoy jwz mixtape 047. This week's mixtape comes on a 120 minute VHS tape instead of on a 90 minute cassette tape. I hope that's ok with you.

Some of these videos have "higher quality" versions, but apparently the "fmt=18" hack doesn't work on Youtube playlists, only on embeds of single videos. So the the video quality isn't even as good VHS. What year is this?

I am sad to report that it took me 10× as long to actually construct the playlist as it did to decide what tracks should be on it. It was such a pain in the ass that I doubt I'll be doing this again soon.

By the way, please tell me your favorite sources of A) new music videos, and B) music videos in higher resolution than the sub-VHS 320x240 crap that Youtube gives us. I already subscribe to the (Miro) music video podcast feeds from if:mv, Cliptip, Antville, Gorilla vs. Bear, Shots Ring Out, No Fat Clips, Telemusicvision, and Zapsation. (A bunch of those fail epically as podcasts because they don't inline the videos, they just thumbnail-link to some HTML page instead. Bleh.)

Update, 19-Sep-2009: Youtube seems to have broken something. If the embedded player doesn't work, try this link.

Tags: , , , , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. cayennesauce says:

Black Velvateen by Lenny Kravitz is in the same theme

2. cavorite says:

videos.antville.org is where I find a good deal of my new videos, and thankfully people will try to provide a non-youtube/flash source for the video as well when possible. an offshoot of this site is videoville.org which is a good archive for videos, though it needs some work by far.

...which would be why that's the third one on my list.

• cavorite says:

My bad, I missed that. I have to add that most of the time my scoring of a high quality video comes from just searching around with the video title and extensions, be it via google, or torrent sites, etc. My next step is to just start contacting the artists/labels/directors and trying to get high quality copies of stuff, because so much of what is out there now is piss poor converted for web viewing only.

3. evan says:

It may have been a pain in the ass to make, but this is pretty rad.

4. wire_on_fire says:

I have to think that somehow Rockit was what music videos are made for. Like the Citizen Kane of music videos or something.

5. elliterati says:

That Robots In Disguise video is hilarious!

6. omni_ferret says:

See also, Dirty Robot, though it does have a lengthy credit sequence.

First, I thought this might have been caused by my sending you a video. Then I thought, maybe you'd been thinking about it since reading "Saturn's Children." Now I think that your entire Livejournal- no, your entire life - has been leading up to this.

Good job.

7. strspn says:

The marionette version on track 10 by Propaganda, p.Machinery (1985) was amazing. The Dresden Dolls were amazing. Duran Duran and Bjork are both great. Goldfrapp was awesome. I still haven't looked at one of the tracks. The first four tracks were great. The version of Dirty Robot that omni_ferret linked to above is fantastic.

P:Machinery was directed by Zbignew Rybczynski, the same guy who did Art of Noise's "Close to the Edit", which is one of the best videos ever made.

The Goldfrapp one is much better if you track down a high res version of it; there's a lot of detail hidden in there.

8. jcurious says:

I'm amused that you went through the trouble of creating an youtube playlist player page, but you don't go through the trouble of creating your own feeds from the broken sites ;)

BTW if you do ever create fixed feeds for those sites, please share them with the lazy web ;)

K, Thanks

My experiences in screen-scraping have not been entirely satisfying; when I write a scraper, it tends to break in a few months. Lately I've been tending toward the approach of simply, "if you don't have a working feed, you don't exist."

Also, it's really hard to sanely scrape a site that, instead of inlining a video, just links to an html page on some other site. Chase N links and then scrape those looking for embeds? Yeah, that doesn't sound fragile...

9. neontotem says:

You may enjoy this video of Kraftwerk @ Coachella: Numbers/Computerworld/Tour de France.

10. progosk says:

now that klap.fr and waveform are dead, the only other good source (despite its convoluted download protocol) i know of, is the russian http://community.livejournal.com/video_directors collective; tho they're certainly not feed-able.

11. inoah says:

Jamie, since the videos are hosted at youtube and not at DNA, are you subject to the usual ASSCAP balogna if I post a list of separate urls to the videos in a comment here? Basically a hotlinked version of the playlist.

There's a page on Youtube that lists all of the clips in the playlist, but I don't remember how to get there.