mark your calendars

Upcoming events that I am considering attending:

Sat, Sep 27:   Brazilian Girls @ Mezzanine
Mon, Sep 29:   A Place to Bury Strangers / Sian Alice Group / The Blacks @ Bottom of the Hill
Sat, Oct 04:   Vertigo (the movie), in Union Square
Sun, Oct 05:   Babyland @ DNA Lounge
Tue, Oct 07:   Cruxshadows @ DNA Lounge
Thu, Oct 09:   Attrition @ DNA Lounge
Fri, Oct 17:   Johnette Napolitano @ Du Nord
Fri, Oct 17:   Hubba Hubba Revue @ DNA Lounge
Sat, Oct 18:   Super Ego @ DNA Lounge
Fri, Oct 24:   Laurie Anderson @ Zellerbach
Fri, Oct 24:   Mortified @ Make-Out Room
Sat, Oct 25:   Laurie Anderson @ Zellerbach
Sat, Oct 25:   Thrill the World  (location still unknown)
Sat, Oct 25:   Mortified @ Make-Out Room
Tue, Oct 28:   Fujiya & Miyagi @ Independent
Wed, Oct 29:   Crystal Castles @ Independent
Thu, Oct 30:   Crystal Castles @ Independent
Sat, Nov 01:   Lykke Li @ Independent
Thu, Nov 13:   Stripmall Architecture @ DNA Lounge
Fri, Nov 14:   The Breeders @ Slim's
Sat, Nov 15:   The Breeders @ Slim's
Mon, Dec 15:   Amanda Palmer @ Bimbo's
Fri, Dec 19:   Felix da Housecat @ Ruby Skye

Dear people I actually know in real life: who's going with me?

Note: Laurie Anderson is assigned seating and will sell out.

Tags: , , ,
Current Music: M83 -- Couleurs ♬

1. sparklydevil says:

.....you're going to a show at ruby skye?

2. elusis says:

God damn it, Dec. 15th is my last class of the quarter. I teach until 10.

I was teaching the last time AP was through town too.

[kicks something]

It's been years since I last saw Laurie Anderson, but I'm sure as fuck not paying $100-$400 for a fucking ticket. That's completely and utterly shameless, and I'd like to know whom I should be planning to punch in the face over this situation.

So I guess my answer is: not me, unfortunately, since the two performances I'd absolutely go with you to are both beyond my reach for different reasons.

• eqe says:

According to the calperfs site tickets to the Laurie Anderson show are $28 to $56 plus fees (at least $7 per order according to the website). The events.sfgate.com site is "down for maintenance" so I can't confirm what prices they're showing.

• elusis says:

Seriously? The purchasing links from the site jwz linked to (SFGate?) gave the cheapest price as $98 and the most expensive as $360.

Yeah, that's insane. They are in fact in the $30-$60 range at calperfs.

• elusis says:

if that's the case, Mr. Zawinski, I will totally go with you on Friday the 24th.

• youngwilliam says:

I think it was about the same when I saw her, on the Nerve Bible circuit.

Why she decided to put on a performance in a Maine town of 30,000 (although it was actually in the college town a few miles up north), I've no clue. Mind, I was hardly complaining!

• elusis says:

Hey, IIRC I saw her at the Chautauqua in Boulder, CO. Which is basically a barn that holds about... 500 people?? Nerve Bible I saw in Denver at the Paramount, which is far more what I would have expected.

• biggeek says:

You are my personal hero of the day for posting that. I just snapped up two tickets.

I was ready to just give up after seeing those horrendous 3rd party ticket prices. What a fucking gouge.

It looks like "Heartland" follows the same minimalist stage motif as "The End of the Moon."

3. chromebishop says:

None of it. Though Babyland puts on a good show.
    My upcoming show list is HorrorPops, Gogol Bordello, Flogging Mollys, Misfits and X (and my own events SF DocFest, Midnight Circus and Roller Disco at Cell).
    Clearly we are running in different circles.

4. uke says:

I'd like to see Vertigo outdoors in SF.

5. elliterati says:

I just saw A Place to Bury Strangers/Sian Alice in Chicago on Sunday night. I recommend you upgrade from "considering" to "saving a place in front of the stage." It was a wonderful show from both bands.

Oh, and bring ear plugs. The bassist from Strangers has more amps than most entire bands.

• kineticfactory says:

Aren't Cruxshadows Assemblage VNV-style futurepop?

They are. They're terrible. But they're hilarious.

I'm pretty sure they're not in on the joke, though.

• benediktus says:

dude, no. "terrible" won't do.
          pineapple hairdos and absurd dance dance revolution choreography is somehow worse. nevertheless inanely entertaining, indeed.

from here it's not very far to there.

• pallmalls says:

Is Rogue still reciting Poe's Annabel Lee in the middle of the setlist? The joke-that-is-not-a-joke plummets to whole new depths when you overhear someone in the audience squeal, "Ohmigod, Rogue is, like, SUCH a great poet!"

• violentbloom says:

funny I was sure they were in on the joke.... that makes it a whole different creature if they aren't.

Perhaps up there with mr spooky christian death and his flashlights if you remember that concert.

• specialagentm says:

I concur. Missed their second Detroit show, but when they opened for NIN it was sheer awesome.

In addition to ear plugs, shades might be needed too. Their strobe effects at the NIN show were a bit over-the-top, but somehow the possibility of having Pokemon-like seizures just made it more fun.

You were right, that show was fantastic.

6. pete23 says:

Saw crystal castles last thursday in camden - good stuff, well worth the price of admission. If a bit silly.

Also the first 14+ gig I've been to since time immemorial. Terrifying.

7. g_na says:

We're going to see Attrition, I assume for the same reason you are ;)

8. telecart says:

I saw The Breeders a few weeks ago when they were here, excellent show by the Deal sisters. They played a few Amps songs and some cool covers too. I had loads of fun. Highly recommended.

I'm also considering going to the Laurie Anderson gig in early November. If you go, let us know how it was - she'll be here about a week after you guys.

• telecart says:

Ugh, I've never seen them perform live, sadly, but hell, its gotta be an awesome show.
      is in ref to Babyland.

9. caroline_blind says:

Ooh, I'd be interested in seeing Johnette Napolitano at Cafe DuNord. Shall I call and get us a table?

10. dmose says:

I'd be up for one of the Breeders shows. And potentially something on the 25th, though it's not clear exactly when I arrive back in town that weekend.