was it my breath?

Dozens sickened in Japan after suicide
A Japanese farmer who committed suicide by drinking pesticide vomited the poison at a hospital before he died, releasing toxic fumes that sickened more than 50 people, the hospital said Thursday.

The incident came amid a string of suicides in Japan by people mixing household chemicals to create lethal fumes. Many bystanders in recent months have been sickened by fumes that escaped into adjoining rooms, apartments or homes.

1. vxo says:

I wonder if anyone's managed to do this by drinking ammonia and bleach, or something that would otherwise outgas violently... it'd be like the worst pop rocks and cola ever!

2. azrhey says:

I thought the had tall buildings in Japan. I woudl rather trust gravity than chemicals to kill me.

3. temp_revenge says:

I'd love to go out the same way but instead of vomit I want my explosive diarrhea to make everyone ill.

• duskwuff says:

You want to know the really horrifying thing about that mural?

It's an advertisement, not a public service announcement. "Suero Oral" is a brand of electrolyte solution.

4. chuck_lw says:

Oi! I'm imagining some weird variant of a suicide bomber who swallows a dissolving bag/condom thingy of poisonous gases.

5. msjen says:

That is pretty much the definition of gross.

6. gths says:

Ah yes, Leto Atriedes' Revenge.

7. theducks says:

It happened here in Australia a few years ago. Apparently glyphosate will a) Kill you then b) cause your body to release highly toxic fumes

• quercus says:

Glyphosate? I find that pretty hard to believe.

Chloropicrin OTOH, began as a WW1 war gas. If you heat it it decomposes - into phosgene, which is pretty noxious in its own right.

• hairyears says:

Ummmm... Yeah.

I have a better idea than most, about what you can buy in your local garden Center, what to mix and what to heat gently. And yes, you can get all three classes of battlefield CW agent from retail home & garden products: vesicants, asphyxiants and nerve agents.

It reassures me that the lame loonies that pass for 'terrorists' these days are uneducated and incompetent. Nevertheless, it's best not to give them - or teenage boys - too many clues.

Among other things, you'd only do it yourself if you had a total disregard for your own safety. As all chemistry undergraduates are told, any fool can make explosives, and many fools do: but making them safely requires knowledge, long practice of working with chemicals, equipment, careful measurement, and reagents of known purity. What's true of conventional bangs is truer still of Chemical Warfare agents and especially so of nerve gases.

8. flipzagging says:

PSA: When committing suicide, use the helium bag method. Helium is easy and legal to obtain. If gases escape, they diffuse harmlessly.