Stupid Flash.

Dear Lazyweb, lately (this month-ish) I'm seeing that "A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly" dialog all the time. Safari will go all hypnowheel for 5-10 seconds, and then that dialog appears, giving me the options of "break the web page" or "go back to the hypnowheel for another ten seconds, then everything's fine." Who broke what? No scratch that, just tell me how to fix it.
Tags: , , ,

1. jieves says:

I generally use a Webkit nightly build instead of main Safari. It seems to reduce the amount of Flash breakage, for whatever reason, and uses the same data stores.

2. endquote says:

Uninstall Flash Player, and reinstall it. Apple wonked it with a recent security update.

Well, that didn't work. It may have actually made it worse (I just had to wait 60 seconds for the hypnowheel to go away before I got the dialog instead of the usual 10.)

I'm now pretty sure that this made it worse.

Is there an older version of the Flash plugin I should try? Adobe seems to only have the latest version on their site.

3. cfs_calif says:

I had that problem a while aback, but seems to have gone away with flash 9.0.12x and safari 3.1.1.

4. chromebishop says:

Sons and Daughters, huh?

Did you go see them last week at GAMH? I didnt, but the write up in the BG encouraged me to go download a few.....

I did, they were awesome. Like their CDs a lot too. I also really liked Bodies of Water live (they had kind of a spaghetti western feel) though their CD... doesn't capture that at all.

5. ammonoid says:

I dunno, but when I got a new mac mini suddenly flash would not work in certain situation when it had previously. Re-installing both firefox and flash failed to fix it. Running in rosetta didn't help either.

It didn't work in safari either. Note that this is not all flash aps, just some.

At this point I've just given up.

Do you have an intel mac?

I have no idea how to fix it, I'm just curious.

• wisn says:

That's the standard symptom of disabled plugins. Go to Preferences > Security > Web Content and see if 'Enable plug-ins' is unchecked.

I would swear there's an undocumented hotkey that toggles this setting, because it happens to a lot of people.

6. elusis says:

No clue, but if you figure out why rivetpepsquad's main LJ page sometimes utterly breaks my copy of Firefox, I'll buy you a drink.

7. lohphat says:

In fact, there are several FF3 bugs relating on flash causing FF to come to a screeching halt. It's the plug-in apparently.

8. violentbloom says:

gah Flash has gone to shit.

It was never supposed to do all that crap.