mixtape 024

Please enjoy jwz mixtape 024.

Consisting of roughly 50% music that I've discovered within the last month! So very current. You will contemplate. You will discuss. You will recommend. You have your orders. Carry on.

Tags: ,
Current Music: as noted

1. muftak says:

I love the surround sound effect at the beginning of The Raveonettes - Dead Sound, couldn't tell where it was coming from. It also reminds me of Suicide - Cheree, which is a good thing.

2. relaxing says:

Listening to these is becoming a nice Sunday ritual.

I had no idea the Raveonettes were any good.

I was compelled to look up more Client.

3. ultranurd says:

Huh. I had no idea anyone did Weird Al covers. It's quite entertaining, since the original Weird Al tried to be a complete sound/style parody, whereas that just goes somewhere different. Reminds me a bit of Frida Snell's cover of Bullet with Butterfly Wings (in terms of taking a whiny male lead with heavy guitar backing and turning it into a quiet female lead with acoustic backing).

Yeah, I don't actually think that one is that great of a song, but once I realized what it was, I LOLed. I figure that made it worthy.

• fnivramd says:

It's spoiled for me by her poor attempt at the "it's hard to blargle-wargle-flarp with all these marbles in my mouth" bit. Is she too sensible to fill her mouth with actual marbles and try to sing ?

Plus in terms of sucking all the anger out of something by using a female vocalist and acoustic guitar, The Nina Gordon cover of "Straight out of Compton" sets a very high threshold and this isn't up to that.

Overall there were a lot more misses in this collection of tracks compared to some previous ones, but it's still a heck of a lot better than turning on the radio during the daytime.

4. tooluser says:

ObCocorosie executed well.

Echoing through the flat and annoying my neighbors (hope) on a sunny Sunday. Interesting enough that I am distracted while I do dishes or work; consistent enough that it's looped once already. A nice balance.

5. The Dead Disco remix is one of my favorites.

As a DJ myself and a HUGE collector of music, I am usually hyper-aware of great music and you consistently turn me on to new goodies. Not many can do this for me. The Duchess Says is new to me... love it.

Oh, and of course, The Eurythmics 1984 album, what an overlooked gem.

6. lnghnds says:

Today I learned Locust != The Locust.

7. jkow says:

I put together a jwz mixtape playlist on my bday party last weekend which was easy as I only had to remove few songs to fill hours with great music. Thanks for that. :)

8. timculver says:

That Weird Al cover is fantastic. The lyrics to the first verse are so vague and self-referential, the song could be almost anything, as it gradually reveals itself. Amazing that she can pull this off. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has more ironic cover versions than any other song in history.

I've never heard that Eurythmics song--very nice. And the Medicine-Curve transition works quite well. I've really enjoyed this mix and #022 especially.