Common Archie

Tags: ,

1. sir_bissel says:

The college radio station in Baton Rouge would play the Shatner version often, except credit it to Ben Folds instead of Joe Jackson. I guess people called them because at some point one of the DJs said something along the lines of "It's Ben Folds impersonating an English accent because the original version was done by an English band, and I should know because I used the song for the start of my show!"

• capo_mojo says:

Well, Ben Folds did produce the record that song is on (Has Been, which is totally excellent). But the Joe Jackson-sounding singer is of course actually Joe Jackson.

• sir_bissel says:

Right, and he is featured on one of the songs from the album as well...

just not that one.

Although I think my favorite song is I Can't Get Behind That

• notthebuddha says:

I love _Has Been_, esp the title track. If you listen carefully to "You're Gonna Die," you can hear him slip up and actually sing a little bit.

• ultranurd says:

The Shatner version comes up on Radio Paradise fairly often, which was where I first heard it; it's pretty good, especially for Shatner.

2. That is the most awesome thing I have seen today.

3. psymbiotic says:

Here's William Shatner and Joe Jackson doing that song together.

4. defenestr8r says:

that's two wins in two days. almost like you found a new corner of the internets!

5. cranaic says:

There was a lot of class tension in the original Archie comics. They implicitly taught you that Betty was the better choice. Veronica was the Mary Jane of her comic world. I guess Brunettes were sexually dangerous and unobtainable back in the day.

6. wisn says:

Does anybody listen to Pulp's version any more? Or is asking that as good as complaining about the kids on my lawn?

• elliterati says:

I like to alternate - they both have their unique genius.

Incidentally, I can't get enough of the solo Jarvis record.

• anyfoo says:

I don't like these newish fancy-shmancy talk versions. It is not what I expect from my music. I only listen to the version of Pulp.

• anyfoo says:

and apparently, I'm just realizing, Archie is also referring to the pulp version, because it says:

But Archie Will Return in... "This Is Hardcore!"

... and now I *totally* have to listen to This Is Hardcore again.

• rodgerd says:

I only listen to the Pulp version. I am perplexed by the popularity of Shatner versions of anything except Boston Legal.

7. houdini_cs says:

Holy crap, people actually listened to that album? I thought I was strange for liking it.