mixtape 013

Please enjoy jwz mixtape 013.

This one took me a lot longer than usual, and I'm not entirely sure why. I hope it was some combination of: A) I'm sick, my ears are clogged, and nothing sounds right; B) I haven't gotten much new music recently; and C) I obsess over the content and order of these way more than necessary; and not 2) I'm just plain running out of steam.

Tags: , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. lovingboth says:

When 2) happens, can you repost from the start, or would that annoy the licensing companies too much?

2. mc_kingfish says:

I'm just surprised to find out you run on steam!

3. boonedog says:

I know that sickness. Yuck.
    Sorry to hear you're running out of steam, but I do love these compilations and I appreciate that you put them together.

4. neko_special says:

Ah, Verbena... I caught that song on MTV once. For years, it never left my head. I took this as a sign to pick up the album, and they became my favorite band for a good while.

Not sure if it's up your alley, but Scott Bondy (the male singer/guitarist) is still doing music.

5. telecart says:

Another good one. Glad to see The Long Blondes there, they rock.

6. telecart says:

Heh, I didn't know Two Lone Swordsman's cover of Sex Beat was a cover. If you don't know it, it's excellent.

7. waider says:

Aside from the volume levels being a bit jumpy (as in, some songs distinctly louder than others, and yes, I know about the Evil Kompression Konspiraky) this was just fine. Very much enjoyed the first track, too.

If there was some LAME option to normalize levels, I'd use it, but I don't know how. (I'm re-encoding all the files to 128k for streaming anyway.) The only things I've seen that do that do so via an ID3 tag, not actually modifying the audio.

• waider says:

Seems like it implements replaygain, which isn't supported by iTunes, but is apparently supported by a bunch of other players (including Xmms, Amarok, Winamp and XBox Media Center, which I suspect covers a pretty sizeable chunk of listeners). It also appears to be switched on by default, so you're already using it, I guess.

I believe that all that replaygain does is write the RVAD ID3v2 tag, which is supported by iTunes (that tag is written when "Sound Check" is selected in iTunes preferences).

There are no id3 tags in streaming audio, so that doesn't help.

• jkow says:

The program normalize-mp3 does reencoding and normalizing of audio files for you on the command line. Sounds pretty much like what you need. :)

Oh, cool... and there's a MacPort of it too. Thanks.

I've re-normalized mixtape 013, let me know if you think it sounds better now?

I've re-normalized mixtape 013, let me know if you think it sounds better now?

• waider says:

Well, I'd have to have kept a copy of the first one (if there were some magical technology to allow me to do so, cough wheeze) but it certainly seems less inclined to have me reaching for the volume control.

I will note in passing that you're far too attentive to your whiny non-customers.

8. crazy4cats says:

Your mixtapes are works of art. Thank you so much for taking the time to make them. I've listened to each one repeatedly. I'm going to have to take drastic measures soon, however, because I'm afraid I'll have "Are You The One?" by The Presets stuck in my head for the rest of my life.