mixtape 004

Please enjoy jwz mixtape 004.

Questions? Comments? Indecent proposals?

<LJ-CUT text="Poll">

[ LJ Poll 1086624 ]

Rating Key:
    0 → "I couldn't be bothered to listen to it."
    1 → "Sucked."
    5 → "Ruled."
Tags: , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. baconmonkey says:

despite all these mixtapes, I'm still not going to prom with you.

2. I believe I've purchased at least six cds as a result of listening to the mixtapes. Looking around, I see Bounte and I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, and I know there are more on the way from Amazon and CDBaby.

This also made me re-listen to some older albums. For some reason "Low Red Moon" never stuck out for me before, but now I had to go back and re-listen to that whole Belly album.

3. fu3dotorg says:

" from the bitter and interesting jwz.. " - garden of varied delights, a.

Heheh :)

4. thecore87 says:

Whoa, I am sloooow. I just realized that (at least some of) the tapes are themed. So far, I found that tape 002 are all tunes with a lead female vocal and that tape 003 are tunes about TV. Now, I wonder what binds tape 001 and 004...

5. telecart says:

I faved Yeah Whatever, if only because I hadn't heard it in such a looong time :)

Excellent.

6. jwm says:

I'm liking what I've heard so far (though I've only just been listening to mix 003). There's a lot of material to work through, though, being that much of it I haven't encountered on this side of the Pacific.

(The house music tape was a little surprising...)

7. Good to see Baxter made the tv-theme tape. Do they have anything more than that one album yet?

Maybe I missed this, but are you purposely keeping only the most recent two tapes online? (Obviously, cerebrum doesn't have infinite disk, but I missed 002...)

8. I'm now actually listening, attentively (rather than on headphones and interrupted at work) to 004, and Licking Honey from a Razor stands out. Absent any idea who this guy was, it sounded like the reconstitution of Nick Cave and Barry Adamson in the same body, rather than simply in the same band. After consulting the tubes, I see that he's more properly associated with Shriekback and (the Kevin Bacon of modern popular music) Brian Eno.

Up there in the poll I said that either the Front 242 or the Cabaret Voltaire track from 001 was my favorite so far (I've actually forgotten, it's a toss up), and I stand by it (the dichotomy more than the specific decision), but this is definitely the most interesting musician I'd never heard of before to which mixtape introduced me.

Thanks!

9. hasimir says:

I've been using these tapes as my alarm clock (cron is wonderful), so my responses may be a little coloured by my purpose. So far I've found mix no. 2 to be the best to wake up to.

10. omni_ferret says:

Am I the only one who had the track cut off abruptly at the end?

11. haqr_spice says:

Thanks heaps for these mixtapes! They're fucken awesome.

Maybe it's an artifact of my open sores player, but The Prids was playing at double-speed. I think icecast doesn't cope if the track being played isn't at the same speed as the playback -- i.e. perhaps it was encoded at 22KHz?

Do you think you could keep the tracklists up?

Dunno what would have caused that speed problem, because all of the files on all the mixtapes are "MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 128 kBits, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo".