I upgraded from 5.1.2 to 6.0.1 primarily because I wanted the new "SMS Log" app that archives the SMSes on your phone in a readable, searchable way.
However, they also replaced the "MemoPad" application with a new "Notes" application. Unfortunately, the new one is <LJ-CUT TEXT="full of bugs."> full of bugs:
- If you have (say) 5 "notes" pages on your Palm, and you've edited a single character in one of them, then when you sync, you get a warning dialog about how "more than 5% of your data has changed". Because 1 note is more than 5% of 5 notes, you see. The only way around this is to change the sync settings globally to never give that warning for anything. Which is, you know, bad.
It re-orders your notes pages randomly every time you sync.
If you change a note on the Palm, sync, then launch the "Notes" app, your change isn't there. You have to quit and restart "Notes" a second time for it to show up. Their support goons had the audacity to call this intended behavior.
So, don't buy that upgrade. But if you do, it's possible to continue using the "MemoPad" application from version 5 with the rest of version 6: <LJ-CUT TEXT="Like so.">
- Run the Missing Sync 6 uninstaller.
- Run the Missing Sync 5 installer.
- Just force-quit the installer instead of rebooting.
- copy /Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits/ MarkSpaceMemoPadConduit.plugin to your Desktop.
- copy /Applications/Missing Sync for Palm OS/Mark:Space MemoPad.app to your Desktop.
- Run the Missing Sync 5 uninstaller.
- Run the Missing Sync 6 installer (don't reboot yet).
- Move "Mark:Space MemoPad.app" back to /Applications/
- Move "MarkSpaceMemoPadConduit.plugin" back to /Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits/
- Now let the installer reboot (maybe you don't need to do this, I'm not sure).
- Launch MissingSync and check the "MemoPad" conduit and un-check the "Notes" conduit.
Ok, but now you might find that the "Photos" conduit doesn't work any more. <LJ-CUT TEXT="So then..."> Apparently the MemoPad conduit from v5 interferes with it somehow. You can work around that by forcing the "MemoPad" conduit to run last. Edit /Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits/MarkSpaceMemoPadConduit.plugin/ Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ConduitInfo.plist and change "Priority" from "3" to "2".
There, wasn't that simple?
Let that be a lesson to you: never upgrade.