XScreenSaver 5.03

XScreenSaver 5.03 out now. Four new savers; two by me, two by others:

Incidentally, this week I have reached another milestone. I have two computers at home: one is a (headless) mail server, and the other is my iMac desktop. The server was a Linux box until a few days ago when either its power supply or mobo died.

I meditated on this, and came to the conclusion that it was worth several hundred dollars to me to not have to fuck around with the PC hardware dance again, so I replaced it with a Mac Mini. This means there are now no Linux machines in my house*, and even at work, I no longer have any Linux machines that have video cards in them**, which is as it should be.

So, if this release doesn't work on Linux... uh, that's why.

except Tivo, which doesn't count.
** except the kiosks, which almost don't count. (Ha.)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Someone made a screensaver out of Voronoi diagrams? Nifty.

2. fu3dotorg says:

Good choice; the 'Mini is silent unless it "does something," and, well, nicely aestetic aswell.

(Thanks for saving our screens, by the way.)

3. boldra says:

This time you didn't even ask that this not be mentioned on slashdot. You're learning!

4. jwm says:

Builds and runs under Debian Etch. I'm kind of surprised the Debian maintainers haven't been keeping up, as there doesn't seem to be any build related obstacles.

glcells is delightfully creepy in a Cronenbergian kind of way :-)

Worth noting: It looks like the website changelog and the README changelog are inconsistant. I think the README is missing one of the entries that's on the site, and is off by one as a result.

5. taffer says:

As always, thanks for saving my screens.

6. When you pass the same number to -minfood and -maxfood glcells throws a floating point exception. It doesn't fail when given -minfood > -maxfood, but I have checked to see if it is doing the right thing (since I am not certain what the right thing would be).

In a separate matter, is it your intent not to test on Linux machines anymore (i.e. leave it up to the distros)?

--- ../../../xscreensaver-5.03.orig/hacks/glx/glcells.c 2007-07-10 15:16:47.000000000 -0400
    +++ glcells.c 2007-07-17 11:37:16.000000000 -0400
    @@ -252,7 +252,9 @@
    static inline int random_interval( int min, int max )
    - return min+(random()%(max-min));
    + int n = max - min;
    + if (n == 0) n = 1;
    + return min+(random()%n);

static inline int random_max( int max )
    • That should have been haven't.

--- http://jwz.livejournal.com/780264.html?thread=15002856#t15002856.orig 2007-07-17 10:46:00.000000000 -400
      +++ http://jwz.livejournal.com/780264.html?thread=15002856#t15002856 2007-07-17 11:53:03.000000000 -400
      @@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
       -minfood and -maxfood glcells throws
       a floating point exception. It doesn't
       fail when given -minfood > -maxfood,
      -but I have checked to see if it is
      +but I haven't checked to see if it is
       doing the right thing (since I am not
       certain what the right thing would be)
  7. evan says:

How do you admin the new machine? (Background: We have a headless one and I'm always frustrated when I want to change something on it, since the VNC server seems to stop listening when the machine does a sleep/wakeup cycle.)

So far, by plugging a mouse in and switching monitors (my 2nd monitor has two inputs and a switch on the front, so that's relatively painless.) I've never tried to use VNC or Remote Desktop. Hopefully I'll almost never have to do that, since most of the software running on it that I might ever have to mess with (postfix, dovecot, bind, dhcpd, spamassassin) is adminnable from ssh.

8. defenestr8r says:

hey that upper left looks kinda familiar... is that a post-NY thought?