We're from the Government. We're here to help.

I have also cleared myself of any wrongdoing.
An Army officer who investigated possible abuse at Guantanamo Bay after some guards purportedly bragged about beating detainees found no evidence they mistreated the prisoners -- although he did not interview any of the alleged victims, the U.S. military said Wednesday.
Tags: ,

1. ...the people who spread the 'falsehoods' will receive the appropriate punishment.

• sethg_prime says:

Following Bassett's recommendations, Stavridis said a "letter of counseling" should be sent to the female guard who allegedly initiated a "fictitious account" of detainee abuse.

Bassett also accused Cerveny of filing a false statement during a brief meeting with her at the Marine base at Camp Pendleton, Calif., her boss, Marine Lt. Col. Colby Vokey, said last week.

2. loic says:

It would be funny if it didn't turn my stomach.

3. Old Doonesbury:
    Duke: "Who's the highest authority on this island?"

MacArthur: "You are, sir."

Duke: "So report it to me."

MacArthur: "Sir, I suspect you of accepting a bribe."

Duke: "I'll look into it."

4. sethg_prime says:

Of course he didn't interview the alleged victims. They're terrorists. If they weren't terrorists, they wouldn't be locked up in Gitmo, would they? And what red-blooded American soldier would take the word of a terrorist over the word of another red-blooded American soldier?

5. scar_crow says:

And by that, I mean a way of political thinking that has been out of control for some time now.

6. phoenixredux says:

Well, thank goodness that's all been cleared up, then.

When will they be awarded the Medal of Freedom?

7. To be fair, I doubt that any of the detainees were particularly interested in being "interviewed" by the Army again.

8. rantzilla says:

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"

9. 205guy says:

Am I the only one who suspects that perhaps false information was "leaked" on purpose to discredit or even get rid of the defense cousel? Not that I seriously believe it, but it's a scenario that's possible given the little information in the article. Remember, just because you're not paranoid does not meant "they" are not out to get you.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe that 5 guys would brag about beating up defenseless people in order to impress a woman, even knowing that all are in the military.