the internet is a strange and mysterious thing

120 Minutes playlists, 1986 - 2003.
I think I watched every episode from 1985 - 1993.

1. g_na says:

Yay, thank you.

2. drjohn says:

That is an astounding chunk of pre-suckdom MTV history. It would be even more amazing if the videos and interviews showed up someday.

3. fastfwd says:

I think I watched every episode from 1985 - 1993.

So did I. Thank you for this. I would marry you and have your babies except I don't think this is the best use of my time or yours.

4. asw909 says:

Wow, this takes me back. Watching 120 Minutes on MTV Europe back at the very start of the '90s got me into stuff like Front 242 and FLA... :)

5. hafnir says:

Wow, that seriously takes me back. At the time I thought there was a lot of lame on the show, with occasional awesome, but now not only would I take that over anything on MTV any day, but I might not mind at all a lot of what I thought was lame then, either. That and given those playlists, in general I must have missed most of the better nights.

I still have a few VHS tapes of it from back in the day, and I used a few videos from it at some of the dekonstrukts where I was VJ'ing.

I also remember going to one of the Meat Beat Manifesto/Orbital/Ultramarine shows where Dave Kendall was MC'ing (he talks about it here), and I ran into him by the door. I didn't know he was supposed to be there, and I was like "Hey, are you Dave Kendall? Shouldn't you be, like, doing your show or something?" and he's like "I'm not doing that show any more" and went off on MTV and all. It was pretty funny. I mostly thought Dave Kendall was annoying on 120 Minutes, but he was kinda funny in person.

• hafnir says:

I should mention I'm also talking about 120 minutes up to about 1993 (or whenever it was Dave Kendall left) - it was largely unwatchable after that IMHO.

6. option12 says:

videos from the original 120 minutes. I have about 10gig of my favorites edited out and in a playlist.