• Meteorite's Organic Matter Older Than the Sun: It's hard to tell, but I think whoever wrote this article is unclear on the two usages of the word "organic", one meaning "contains carbon" and one meaning "life", but still, that's one old rock.

• The tiny magnetite compass in the human nose.

• QTVR of the Large Hadron Collider: 1, 2, 3.

• "[The male contraceptive pill] stops all ejaculate by blocking the pump mechanism. [...] many people love the actual physical sticky outcome -- but we understand that many don't, not least those who receive infected ejaculates."

• Democrats Reject Key 9/11 Panel Suggestion: "With control of Congress now secured, Democratic leaders have decided for now against implementing the one measure that would affect them most directly: a wholesale reorganization of Congress to improve oversight and funding of the nation's intelligence agencies. [...]

"The commission was unequivocal about the need. 'Of all our recommendations, strengthening congressional oversight may be among the most difficult and important,' the panel wrote. 'So long as oversight is governed by current congressional rules and resolutions, we believe the American people will not get the security they want and need.'"

Tags: , , , ,

1. korgmeister says:

Technically speaking, then won't taking this proposed male contraceptive pill seriously increase your risk of prostate cancer?

2. heresiarch says:

you know, until i read some of the responses in the blogosphere to this male pill, i really hadn't realized just how much men appear to love their come. and i'm just not sure how to respond to that. 0.0

3. latemodel says:

I'm not sure that I believe him that male orgasm is all "mental". I can't prove it, but I have a distinct suspicion that the sensation of ejaculation is caused by semen being pumped through the urethra. I mean, the urethra is pretty sensitive, so I'm sure it'll change the experience somewhat.

• strspn says:

I agree; about as much as the difference between urination and not urinating? That difference seems usually to be less than a 1/10th of the difference between orgasming and not. I used to be able to have an orgasm without ejaculating by stopping masturbation at the last moment, but I can't do that anymore.

• heresiarch says:

i don't think it's all mental, but i believe it's correct to say that ejaculation and orgasm are separate in men. i'm pretty sure male orgasm is caused by muscle contractions, as is orgasm in women, and that ejaculation may be part of the sensation, but isn't necessary to experience orgasm.

4. lars_larsen says:

I could have used that pill just now, the pictures of the large hadron collider made me ejaculate.

5. mandy_moon says:

I think when the female pill was first introduced, there were a few kinks and it produced all kinds of side effects. There still are side effects today, some including risk of stroke, blood clots, high blood pressure, heart attack, ovarian cancer, wild mood swings, bloating, etc, etc...and the general reaction to female birth control was "YAY! BIRTH CONTROL!!"

The side effects for this male contraceptive pill seem to be "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BLAST OFF!!" and that seems to far outweigh the problems associated with the girl-pill. Hmmm...

• flipzagging says:

(Sigh). It's not all about keeping the women down.

Every orgasm a guy has ever had is associated with ejaculation. Normally, refraining from ejaculating = pain. Our genes probably tell us that it's really, really important to let go. So the notion of this pill feels really weird.

But I have the ultimate marketing strategy. One word: blowjobs. ;)

6. ak_47 says:

The real question is whether tidy orgasm is thrifty, as well. If blocked ejaculation could keep testosterone for further reuse, then recuperation period would shrink to zilch!