Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage.

Odeh M, Bassan H, Oliven A. Department of Inernal Medicine, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel.

A 60-year-old man with acute pancreatitis developed persistent hiccups after insertion of a nasogastric tube. Removal of the latter did not terminate the hiccups which had also been treated with different drugs, and several manoeuvres were attempted, but with no success. Digital rectal massage was then performed resulting in abrupt cessation of the hiccups. Recurrence of the hiccups occurred several hours later, and again, they were terminated immediately with digital rectal massage. No other recurrences were observed. This is the second reported case associating cessation of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage. We suggest that this manoeuvre should be considered in cases of intractable hiccups before proceeding with pharmacological agents.
Tags: ,

1. insomnia says:

When asked why they treated a 60-year-old man for hiccups by using digital rectal massage, the doctor pointed out that it was merely a courtesy provided to the patient, who was one of the hospital's largest donors.

"Mom! Grampa's got the hiccups again!"

2. stenz says:

It sounds like a fucked up version of House.

I can just picture the other doctors giving up and then they call in the crazy guy who's answer to everything is to shove his fingers up people's asses - but this time, it is so crazy that it just might work.

I think I might start making that my solution to tech problems, it sounds like more fun. "Database failed again huh? Well, I'm going to have to stick my finger in your ass. Shhh, shhh - trust me."

3. grahams says:

See Also: Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage.

I was at the ig Nobel Awards last night, and I'm not sure what was more frightening.. The fact that not one, but TWO, doctors had published papers entitled "Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage" (they won the ig Nobel for Medicine jointly), or that Dr. Fesmire spent the whole evening wagging his gloved index finger around at the audience.

• adaptively says:

Hey, I was there, too! Did you get one of the free rubber glove-and-KY jelly samples that he was giving out?

• grahams says:

Honestly, I was terrified of that man. If I get the hiccups, I'm pretty sure I can supply my own KY.. :)

• This picture here really makes me happy, because they're all wearing ear muffs yet the row behind them must suffer. lol

• grahams says:

Row behind? It was awful throughout Memorial Hall! The chalkboards weren't as bad as the Anti-Teen device, which was only supposed to annoy those in their teens and early-20s, but annoyed the shit out of this 29 year old... :)

• I just love the giant smile on his face as he was doing it. like ahhhh! revenge!!

Yeah, I've never put much faith in those frequency devices. Like those dog whistles that only dogs are suppose to hear. I think it's just that they actually don't make any sound at all. I had a dog once and it never responded to that whistle.

Now if somebody makes a stupid people repellant, I am buying stock.

4. wyndebreaker says:

Why doesn't anyone do analog rectal massage anymore?

Aficionados swear that it produces warmer, more accurate results.

5. phreddiva says:

I'll, uh... take the pharmacological agents.

6. nyankolove says:

i feel like this is another one of god's jokes on us. "first i will create hiccups, and i will put the button to cure them inside their ass!"

7. ghewgill says:

Is it coincidence that the acronym form is DRM?

8. sheilagh says:

The post is funny, but the comments are even mroe of a hoot.