it's a kind of chemical warfare

Police hunt farting dissident

Police in Poland have launched a nationwide hunt for a man who farted loudly when asked what he thought of the president.

Hubert Hoffman, 45, was charged with "contempt for the office of the head of state" for his actions after he was stopped by police in a routine check at a Warsaw railway station.

He complained that under President Lech Kaczynski and his twin brother Jaroslaw, the country was returning to a Communist style dictatorship.

When told to show more respect for the country's rulers, he farted loudly and was promptly arrested.

Hoffmann was arrested and released on bail but failed to turn up at a Warsaw court early this week to be tried, and the judge in the case rejected an appeal by defence lawyers to throw the charges out.

A court spokesman said: "Such a case of disrespect is taken very seriously."

Instead the court ordered the police to start a nationwide hunt for the man, and interpol have been alerted.

Tags: , ,

1. przxqgl says:

what is really surprising is that it wasn't chicago or new york where someone was arrested for farting a commentary about "president" bush... 8/

2. Hang on; isn't the EU telling Turkey to can its law against "insulting Turkishness" before even thinking of joining the EU? If so, how are they letting one of their member states get away with something like this?

• dojothemouse says:

They have way more sway with nations that haven't joined yet. That's the only sure-fire benefit the EU has been able to work out so far: They can lean on countries to clean up & fly straight before admission. Providing benefits to members has been trickier.

3. Thank dog we live in a country where we have the freedom to express ourselves flatulently.

4. thedimka says:

I think that arrest like that would insult a notmal president a lot more than an actual fart

5. mc_kingfish says:

I guess this means I'll have to retire that Hubert Hoffman alias...

6. I am embarassed on behalf of everyone in my country of birth. Now I've got to go see what the Polish media are saying about this, er, travesty.

7. kimberley66 says:

heheeheheeehahahaa. . . Did he at least say pardon me? ;p

8. fantasygoat says:

Well, they do eat a lot of cabbage.

9. mopti says:

It's an ill wind that blows no good

10. baconmeteor says:

I can't find any mention of this guy anywhere in the Polish press, and the article isn't sourced. I'm calling shenanigans.