add your voice to the sound of the crowd

[ LJ Poll 813637 ]

Tags: ,

1. mackys says:

I note with some amusement that light post #69 has by far the most deaths. Are these posts numbered in such a way the jumpers can see them? Too much activity at that particular spot to be coincidental.

2. Are they numbered that way on the bridge? Pole 69 seems inordinately popular...

3. kumimonster says:

and i know 2 of those personally.
    gah.

one i recall was closer to the SF side. facing inwards.
    the other i dont remember.

4. korgmeister says:

More of 'em facing the city than the ocean.

The cynical part of me thinks "attention whores to the last".

5. violentbloom says:

well I suppose it would depend on which side was closest to where I left my transportation....

the ocean side is nicer in my humble but correct opinion.
    city side you get to flip off the assholes that drove you to your decision??

6. NEVER TOO SOON!
    It's the circle of life.

7. czircon says:

Wow, some of those guys managed to jump pretty far.

8. recursive says:

A few months ago I found out one of my former coworkers jumped from there.

This doesn't change my feeling that the plans to uglify the bridge and put up some kind of suicide barrier are idiotic. People'll just jump in front of Caltrain, which causes far more inconvience to the rest of humanity.

9. tiff_seattle says:

I like cityscapes. So I would face East.

10. cindymonkey says:

if you face the city the wind can blow you back onto or into the bridge

seen the film joy of life by jenni olson?
    it's an interesting examination of thhe ggbridge suicides

11. lindseykuper says:

I noticed the crisis counseling signs near the phones on the bridge a couple days ago and wondered if they'd ever made a difference. On the Portland bridges, we've got signs, but no phones.

12. kroker says:

bikers lead healthier lives and don't commit suicide because they are happy?
    people in cars would commit suicide except they are too fat to be arsed?
    there's a current from west to east? no, forget that one, too unlikely.

• korgmeister says:

Nah, the great thing about cars is they let you commit suicide in comfort, with your choice of music and they give your family plausible deniability (great for Catholics!).

13. dr_nuk says:

There are more on the city side because that's the side open to pedestrians. The ocean side is bikes only.

14. thaumastikos says:

I think I read somewhere that the apparent preference for the eastern side predates the exclusivity of bikes on the western side; and it was hypothesized there that people who went down the western side were more likely to reconsider, facing the infinite void and violent thrashing of the Pacific, while the calm serenity of the city is less effective at scaring some sense into people.

15. belgand says:

While pole 69 is the obvious largest group, the second most visible grouping is that there tend to be far more on the SF side than the Marin side. Equally odd is that going by looks alone the people who face West trend heavily towards being in either the middle or the half closer to Marin (not by a large amount, but still). I wonder what, if any, significance there might be to this.

16. decibel45 says:

Sixty-nine, dude!

17. ladykalessia says:

The thing I wonder is if the pedestrian lane is both ways on either side. If not, then it means that more suicidal people come from San Francisco than Marin.

18. purple_b says:

More info can be heard on one of sparkletack's episodes.