Pagan Friar's Club

Ohio Man Claims Right To Have Sex With Boys

A suburban Cleveland man accused of sexually assaulting nine disabled boys told a judge Wednesday that his apartment was a religious sanctuary where smoking marijuana and having sex with children are sacred rituals protected by civil rights laws.

He told the judge, "I'm a pedophile. I've been a pedophile for 20 years. The only reason I'm charged with rape is that no one believes a child can consent to sex. The role of my ministry is to get these cases out of the courtrooms."

Distasio, a self-professed pagan friar, is representing himself on 74 charges. He said he's the leader of a church called Arcadian Fields Ministries, and that some of his congregants are among the victims in his case.

Distasio was arrested on charges he molested two disabled boys he was tutoring at his home. He's also accused of raping seven other autistic children at a Cleveland school for special-needs students, The Plain Dealer reported. All but one of the boys was under 13, which carries a mandatory life-in-prison sentence if he is convicted, the paper reported.

See also The Guns and Dope Party.

Tags: ,

1. jwz says:

I swear, that song just happened to be playing when I posted this.

2. psymbiotic says:

which carries a mandatory life-in-prison sentence if he is convicted

Which translates to him getting shived the first month of him being in jail (they don't take kindly to child molesters in prison from what I've heard).

I say good riddance to bad garbage!

3. A for imagination with a + for his actually saying that with a straight face.

I can't wait to see how his stance goes over with the prison population. No, really. I can't wait.

• dmlaenker says:

This guy is now the pedophile Mumia.

• baconmonkey says:

you know, I've seen the signs everywhere, but I still have not gotten my Free mumia. I haven't even seen where you can buy a mumia.

• ultranurd says:

I saw a guy with a t-shirt listing the top ten reasons not to free Mumia. The crest on the front of the shirt was for some policeman's union or club or something.

• strspn says:

The best analysis of the Mumia case I've ever seen is the Wikipedia talk page. Not the article, which is boring, but the talk page. You don't even need to read the whole thing. Just pick three random screenfuls from any recent portion or archive from the past year or so, and you will have a fairly complete grasp of why the case is so difficult on both sides, and be able to explain at least five intricate nuances of the US justice system, to boot.

• My read of his web site is that he is clearly framed by the police. Just from reading his web site, he is clearly guilty enough in my book. Yeah, sure, he had his gun out so he could HELP the cop who was clubbing his brother. Right. We don't know exactly what happend, perhaps he didn't shoot the cop, but not from lack of trying. Perhaps the cop shot him, then someone else shot the cop, but he got out of his cab, and drew his (legal) weapon, and both he and the cop got shot.

4. qacdefeej says:

"The only reason I'm charged with rape is that no one believes a child can consent to sex."

And he sure helped his case by picking autistic children.

• korgmeister says:

Precisely what I thought.

When you deliberately prey on the mentally incompetent, you can't really go "Oh well they can consent. Honest!"

Sheer, unmitigated gall, really.

• strspn says:

Or insanity defense insurance.

• korgmeister says:

You know anyone who would let a pedo off on the insanity defence? I don't.

• strspn says:

Well, it depends on the jurisdiction, but in federal courts, for example, the 1972 Brawner Rule allowing juries to decide was superceded by the 1984 Insanity Defence Reform Act, following John Hinkley, Jr., which obligates the judge to rule on expert psychiartic testimony. IANAFL

• Oh, sure, plead insanity. Then you are stuck until the docs think you are cured, which in the case of a serial pedophile is never. Yeah, in this case you get a manditory life sentince, but I suspect that the loony bin is more likely to give you life for real, and be less fun than prison.

• korgmeister says:

know when you put it that way, ruling that a pedophile is criminally insane becomes much more appealing.

Plus psychiatrists seem to be much less prone to idiotic "let us absolve people of personal responsibility" fads as social/prison workers.

• "No, the reason you're charged with rape is that you had sex with people who'd be unable to give reasoned consent at any age. Twit."

5. chuck_lw says:

Notice that he's staring meaningfully -- off to some point above the horizon -- toward what he no doubt sees as a better future society resulting from his campaign.

They'll use that photo when they build his statue.

He'll be dead by that time, of course. But, ya know...

6. mysterc says:

is it just me or does he kinda look like a certain clown we know without the make up? Or maybe its just the self satisfied smirk...

7. phreddiva says:

Oh, jesus.
    Just what the pagans need, this asshole claiming himself in their ranks.

8. heart8 says:

Next we'll be hearing from cannibals that arresting them for murdering, butchering & eating humans is a violation of their right to "pursue happiness."

Burn in every hell there is, dude.

9. fdaapproved says:

If his goal is to claim that children can give consent, why did he choose to molest handicapped children? I'm not a lawyer, but if there's one group of children that the courts are likely to declare unable to give consent it's them. Oh. Right. He's insane. Forgot.

10. gytterberg says:

Documentary proof that muttonchops are disgusting and for perverts.

11. baconmonkey says:

Kent "dr. Dino" Hovind, who ran the now-defunk creationist teme park "Dinosaur Adventure Land" has been arguing with the IRS for tax evasion on similar grounds.

Kent Hovind, who often calls himself "Dr. Dino," has been sparring with the IRS for at least 17 years on his claims that he is employed by God, receives no income, has no expenses and owns no property.
    In April, Circuit Judge Michael Allen ordered the buildings at Dinosaur Adventure Land closed because Hovind failed to obtain a building permit during the 2002 construction. The outdoor theme park was allowed to stay open.

Members of Creation Science Evangelism said at the time that building permits violated their "deeply held" religious beliefs.

12. taiganaut says:

See also the Wikipedia pedophiles and Wikipedia's decision that yes, they can continue editing the pedophilia and "child love movement" articles there:

Quick links to some user pages if you don't want to wade through the drama:

...among others.

13. schwa242 says:

My religion allows me to stab people in the testicles (a ritual we call The Seminal Bloodening) when they communicate with me to do so by blinking to me the right way in my religion's secret special language. What an asshole.

14. dasht_brk says:

From the "why I am embarrassed by past associations with the FSF department", check out Stallman's "Political Notes" ( for:

5 June 2006
    6 April 2006
    20 November 2005
    4 April 2004
    28 June 2003
    17 January 2003 (two entries)

And, hey, his fans (who, as of this writing, feature him on their home page).

• gytterberg says:

Flying Spaghetti Monster gave us HTML for a reason, dude.

But yeah, those are... speshul.

• strspn says:

Eh. In one state, the age of consent is 14; in another, it's 18. The people who live in both states are just as absolutist about pedophelia as the other. I'm willing to believe that such absolutism is, in fact, completely arbitrary.

15. kallisti says:

A few of points...

Of course, there is *no* form of practiced Neo-Paganism today that sanctions sex with minors, or rape. What two or more adults may do private is their own long as there is informed consent. If you want to know what us Neo-Pagans do, read _Drawing Down the Moon_ by NPR reporter Margot Adler, which is a fairly comprehensive survey of what's happening today.

I do find it offensive that we expect inmates do deal out a justice that we are not willing to execute ourselves. If someone has multiple convictions of rape, we should be using them as experimental subjects to find out what makes people do such a thing, and to find a way of preventing/curing it. That would be much more useful than locking them away.

16. transgress says:

oh man, i was certain i would find a black panthers link under the guns and dope party link.

17. tobynixon says:

But he was very Smart.
    He was my friend, for a short while. I had no idea. We never thought about what he was saying. I am very open minded and I have been known in previous years to date 17 year olds. Nothing like what he was doing.

He kept this a secret from all of us who accepted him.

The thing was that he was alot alike us and even was living with his older lover, (that eventually fulfilled his end of their suicide pact.) He smoked pot, he was for pot, he was the only person who met me at the bus station when I arrived in Cleveland.

The weird thing was that when he would interview Pagan Children, it was only the boys he was interested in.

We were all surprised when his arrest happened. It didn't shock us too much.
    We did know his convictions. We had no idea that he was actually having sex with those children.

He refused to join the Church of Pagan Power because we required a Background Check and for him to be open about his past.

This was a problem for him. For now obvious reasons.

I am only upset that he was not more open with us, there is something fundamentally wrong with a persons psyche who wants to have sex with someone he cant relate to. There is no reason that he could not have received the proper support from his peers. Before it came to this.

I came too late, I was not privy to this and I do not want to absolve him, but he needed some need met that he only got from them. It really had nothing to do with them it had to do with him.

Hopefully his Karma will satisfy his real need in his next life.

He will die in Jail. :(