iTunes "date added"

Dear Lazyweb, is there any way to edit the "Date Added" field of tracks in iTunes?

Some Googling suggests that the answer is "no", but I might as well ask... Apparently the field is read-only to AppleScript, and if you hack the XML file directly, every "Date Added" will be set to the date at which the XML was re-parsed. (This means: "don't tell me what your guess is unless you've tried it and it works", ok?)

Tags: , , ,

1. fg says:

- remove the track.
    - change the date on your system clock to the desired date.
    - add the track.

• sherm says:

I suppose that passes the "tried it and it works" test.

Somehow I still don't think he'll be amused.

• strspn says:

Hm. do shell script "date " & posixdatestring might work in applescript, so why not. I've always kind of wondered if the internal OS logic depends on a coherent clock. What could go wrong? (Seriously, something could probably go wrong... what might?)

• 4zumanga says:

For a while I've been setting my clock back so my 15 day parallels trial doesn't run out. I haven't seen any problems except sent mail having weird dates.

2. fengi says:

The only thing I've found is to delete the track from your library and re-add it. This only sets the date added to the current date, but it's a start.

3. davidglover says:

No, there isn't.

You can put dates into the "comments" field and search on that, which is the closest you'll get.

4. duskwuff says:

Editing the XML file won't get you anywhere - iTunes never reads from it. It's solely for the benefit of programs that don't want to read the iTunes database directly.

5. ultranurd says:

I'm curious, since I don't think I've ever used the Date Added field in a search or a smart playlist - what are you going to use it for?

"What albums did I buy in 2005". Since I first started using iTunes in mid-2005, I can only answer half of that question with a smart playlist.

• jerronimo says:

it gets even worse... for example:

Add an album, like an mp3 web download. It gets the date that you imported it.

now, at some future date, buy the CD, then import it again; itunes will ask if you want to replace the old files. you click yes, and you get newly imported files.... with the OLD import date.

fun. :(