Alert the FVZA

Zombies booked for carrying fake WMDs

MINNEAPOLIS - Six friends spruced up in fake blood and tattered clothing were arrested in downtown Minneapolis on suspicion of toting "simulated weapons of mass destruction."

Police said the group were allegedly carrying bags with wires sticking out, making it look like a bomb, while meandering and dancing to music as part of a "zombie dance party" Saturday night.

"They were arrested for behavior that was suspicious and disturbing," said Lt. Gregory Reinhardt, a police spokesman. Police also said the group was uncooperative and intimidated people with their "ghoulish" makeup.

One group member said the "weapons" were actually backpacks modified to carry a homemade stereos and were jailed without reason. None of the six adults and one juvenile arrested have been charged.

"Given the circumstance of them being uncooperative ... why would you have those (bags) if not to intimidate people?" said Inspector Janee Harteau. "It's not a case of (police) overreacting."

Harteau also said police were on high alert because they'd gotten a bulletin about men who wear clown makeup while attacking and robbing people in other states.

Kate Kibby, one of those arrested, said previous zombie dance parties at the Mall of America and on light-rail trains have occurred without incident. Last fall, nearly 200 people took part in a "zombie pub crawl" in northeast Minneapolis.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. fengi says:

I've found if you have to make a statement saying you aren't are really overreacting.

• dasht_brk says:

It's the "uncooperative" thing that gives me sympathy for, yes, the cops.

Geeze, what's so hard about "Oh, my gosh officer. Yes, I can see your concern. Please go ahead and poke around (hopefully Johnny, in the back, has plenty of room to stash his weed pipe). See, it's this big goof off we're doing. I mean, first amendment and yadda yadda, as I'm sure you respect but, if we've raised hackles, then by all means let us clear things up before we proceed. And, hey. thanks for checking up -- sorry to waste your time on this." Pigs are people too!

• taffer says:

Maybe they were staying in character and tried to eat the cops' brains?

• stonemonkey says:

> Geeze, what's so hard about "Oh, my gosh officer. Yes, I can see your
        > concern. Please go ahead and poke around (hopefully Johnny, in the
        > back, has plenty of room to stash his weed pipe).

If you think these cops really thought they had bombs dressed up in makeup pretending they are zombies then you are surely being sarcastic. They probably did not like the zombies attitude when they approached them and just arrested them. A Saturday night in downtown minneapolis probably sucks for a cop, so I suspect their tolerence for stuff is lower than normal. I think it is a shame that they arrest people for doing something that is positive (don't we all need more people roleplaying as zombies?).

2. xenogram says:

I'm not surprised. This is what the 'Order' in 'Law and Order' means. This morning when I looked at my friends page I found references to this and this (talking about this) as well.

I hate that phrase.

• we plaayed street wars here in SF, and my team spooked the hell out of some cops in the mission while we were on a stakeout for our target. The cops, who at first thought we were dealing drugs or something, got spooked when they saw that we were using radios to communicate and were peaking out a particular doorway...
      I later found out from a friend that they thought we were either private detectives, bounty hunters, or hitmen...

was fun though...

• xenogram says:

It's good to see this streetwars thing popping up all round the place. I've been in K.A.O.S. for years, but I haven't seen a lot of activity from the outside world. <lj user="assassins"> is pretty dead.

3. roninspoon says:

"It's not a case of (police) overreacting. We didn't even shoot anyone."

4. When you go off half-cocked over some wires, that is the definition of overreacting. Or at least of not knowing what real bombs tend to look like. Even I don't necessarily know what real bombs look like, but I imagine that exposed and coiled wiring, ala Hollywood, is probably not all that common.

If you're going to use the ICP thing as an excuse, you should probably make sure the zombie kids actually look like ICP thugs.

5. kimberley66 says:

hahahahaaaa!! I can just imagine the court appearance conversation. . . .

6. kiskadee says:

Clearly they are recreating Tom Petty's song, "Zombie Zoo."

7. bitwise says:

Of course, the story is incomplete without MUGSHOTS!

8. baconmonkey says:

(e) "Vector" means a living organism or molecule, including a recombinant molecule or biological product that may be engineered as a result of biotechnology, capable of carrying a biological agent or toxin to a host.

well, zombies definately are a WMB vector, so a fake zombie is definately a simulated WMD.

9. lordshell says:

You know, if you don't take out either their brain or spine, they'll just keep coming.

10. nosrialleon says:

My eye initially misread "Inspector Janee Harteau" as "Inspector Jacques Clouseau." Which may not be too far off the mark.

Also: zombie dance party at the Mall of America. ZOMBIE DANCE PARTY AT THE MALL OF AMERICA.

11. matt_od says:

gah.. minneapolis cops are infamous for overreacting. st.paul cops have always been great though. it really is funny the difference between the two departments even though they are so close to each other

12. fantasygoat says:

The response I got as a zombie during the Toronto Zombie Walk was mostly smiles.

America sucks.

• xenogram says:

But that's just Minneapolis right? I've never been there, but America is a big country, it can't all be pooped from the same shute.

13. mc_kingfish says:

Just another example of the government and media conspiring to explain and cover-up an actual zombie outbreak.

Oh, right, it was "people in make-up." Uh-huh... Funny how often that happens. And note that there seems to be repeat incidents of these "people in make-up" frightening people with their little "parties" around the Midwest.

When the hoardes are breaching the barricades at the White House, we'll hear different.

14. ultranurd says:

I guess this means I can't wear my danger orange biohazard-symbol t-shirt anymore.

15. lars_larsen says:

The cops love to make up laws to arrest people for. I bet they didnt break any laws at all. They haven't even been charged.

It sucks that the police can just arrest people who have comitted no crime.

I hope they get a zombie-lawyer to eat the city's brains in a lawsuit for false arrest.