icecast statistics

Dear Lazyweb,

I ask this question every couple of years, and I keep hoping I'll get a decent answer someday:

What software should I use to analyze the log files written by Icecast?

Right now I'm using Webalizer 2.10 Streaming extention, but it's kind of crap. And, at the moment, appears to be lying to me.

What I'm interested in is basically just: How many people listened to each stream; and how long they tended to stay connected (e.g., how many seconds of audio were served to each unique listener). More detailed info would be nice, but those are the big two.

Please note: I'm not asking for what your favorite HTTP log analysis software is. It has to be something that understands streaming, or it won't present the information I'm asking for, since most web log software is not interested in the duration of the connections.

Tags: , , ,

1. aykyo says:

I've always had good luck with awstats. . . although I must say I've never used it to analyze Icecast logs. See the following two links (the first one especially):

2. kfringe says:

I just use analog with the "processing time in seconds" variable used for "seconds connected." The graphs aren't as pretty as webalizer's, but it sure is fast. 'port install analog' to give it a spin.

I'm pretty sure that awstats can do something similar, but I fear change. You might just want to stick with webalizer's familiar lies.

3. guyver3 says:

I asked a long-running streaming media hosting customer what they use, and they said a mix of some payware called sawmill and then custom log parsing scripts because they too couldn't find anything free that could track information they wanted.

• jcheshire says:

There are surprisingly few good tools. SurfStats had the ability at one point, but I haven't touched it in years. Webtrends was the one I was using when I was running my own server. Never tried Icecast specific logs, though.

We finally just wrote our own tools. I'm surprised there are still so few tools out there. Although, I supposed most people are just using CDN's to stream these days, and they expect the CDN to provide the reporting.

• guyver3 says:

I'm kinda curious about this now. Generally only streaming I worry about is VoIP. I've got my stuff for statistics and analysis, but it is specific to asterisk.

Was browsing after talking with the customer and Sawmill looks like it provides all the information that is possible from logs, but seems bloated and slow. That could have been just their demo. There seems to definately be a lot of payware out there, designed around the Windows media streaming server and various other licensed thingermobobbys.

I saw some RRD generated graphs for icecast information on the web admin port (also a perl script for outputting in mrtg parsing format in the icecast forums), but they didn't break down into true specifics, more like trend graphing on the whole.

I guess I'd need a sample log to screw around with to throw against various apps or write some perlmonkey script to parse with.

What is a "CDN"? My alphabet soup is not up to date, and last time it meant "Corporate Data Network" when I worked at SNET (so. new eng. telco.)

• snitrocket says:

I've used the same setup. It is payware, but Sawmill is surprisingly good software, and cheaper than a lot of the "professional" log analysis packages.

• snitrocket says:

We're probably pissing Jamie off, but I have to agree - Sawmill is worth paying for. We run about 30 sites, and dicking around with the OS stuff got really old after a while. The developer offers good support, too.

4. jesus_x says:

"Please note: I'm not asking for what your favorite HTTP log analysis software is."

I love that he's still got that tiny ember of optimism that people will read that part.

• spoonyfork says:

I decided to read the comments hoping for this very thing.. a metafeature of the journal I suppose. Is it wrong to enjoy the snarky admonishments that follow? Drat, I am too early.

5. axl12 says:

I'm asking another question here:
    how do we use Awstats in LJ?