do not taunt happy fun government

Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling

A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the government is tracking the phone numbers we (Brian Ross and Richard Esposito) call in an effort to root out confidential sources. "It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us in an in-person conversation.

Video of Rumsfeld smackdown

President Gore on SNL (wow, SNL is still on the air?)

Scene missing! A video that used to be embedded in this post has disappeared. If you know of a copy of this video that is still accessible, please mail me so that I can update the link.
Tags: , , , ,

1. Almost as disturbing as the government spying in that ABC news link is the large preponderance of responses defending it.

"I hope the information they gain allows them to catch the scum that leak information, and helps them arrest the communist scum who publish it."

2. carus_erus says:

I saw the Gore clip, thought similarly "Is SNL is still on the air", followed by "Maybe I should start PVR/Tivoing it?", followed very quickly by "PVRing SNL? Are you crazy?"

The last good thing SNL did was Jesse Jackson reading from Green Eggs and Ham back in the early 90's...

• wfaulk says:

I was on top of the SNL-sucks bandwagon a few years back, but I'm watching it pretty regularly now and mostly enjoying it. It's far from 100% funny, but there's a decent amount of stuff I've seen in the last year or two that I am glad I saw. The "SNL Digital Short"s (the Narnia rap, for example) are at the top of that list.

If that fucking Narnia Rap is the best thing you can come up with, then I remain glad I stopped watching in, like, the 80s. God, that thing was so stunningly unfunny.

• wfaulk says:

I can only imagine that it's a difference in our contexts. I thought that it was very, very funny, while I thought the Gore thing was merely amusing; I never got much past a grin.

• carus_erus says:

Agreed. I have a PVR card and could fast forward through the whole thing in about 2 minutes. It would still be a waste of two minutes. I'll stick with the Colbert Report thanks.

I'm quite happy living with Crooks & Liars watching every crummy thing on TV and scraping the very best for us to watch.

• azul_ros says:

No. That was lame compared to the rap song that Natalie Portman did. You really should see that one!

• wfaulk says:

Oh, and the couple of "Vincent Price Holiday Specials" they've done. Hysterical.

• ultranurd says:

The episode a few months back with Natalie Portman had some half-decent bits... but still nothing that will enter the collective national consciousness like SNL skits from... um... before I was born.

3. phoenixredux says:

I hope that someday, we will be able to exchange video clips of Donald Rumsfeld testifying at his trial in Geneva for war crimes. And in spite of what the critics of that ABC story might think, ABC is doing EXACTLY what the Constitution expects them to do. They're providing an important and valuable service to our nation. Treason is not a charge that should be bandied about without a full airing of the facts. And only then may you clearly see wherein the treason lies.

4. cyeh says:

If only to provide material for 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip'.

5. belgand says:

"Under Bush Administration guidelines, it is not considered illegal for the government to keep track of numbers dialed by phone customers."

Yes, we all know that, but uhm... does the judicial system consider it illegal? That would seem to be a rather important aspect of this and one that it seems hasn't been properly broached yet (i.e. by taking those responsible to trial).

Without legal action the issue of whether it's legal or illegal is moot.

Of course, it's also nice to see the press not sitting back and telling us not to ask questions or merely aping what they've been told to say by the press office.

This story vaguely reminds me of the bit in Watchmen where it was mentioned how two Washington Post reporters mysteriously turned up dead in a parking garage. How long do we have until a reporter or a critical source goes missing or is quickly charged with a crime while working on a story? Will people even care?

• ilcylic says:

And clearly this is a problem with the Daily Show, and not the shitheads the major parties keep putting up for election.