"What hath God wrought"

Western Union Stops Sending Telegrams:
"Effective January 27, 2006, Western Union will discontinue all Telegram and Commercial Messaging services. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, and we thank you for your loyal patronage."

The world's first telegram was sent on May 24, 1844 by inventor Samuel Morse. The message, "What hath God wrought," was transmitted from Washington to Baltimore. [...] Western Union goes back to 1851 as the Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company. In 1856 it became the Western Union Telegraph Company after acquisition of competing telegraph systems. By 1861, during the Civil War, it had created a coast-to-coast network of lines.

Tags:

1. fo0bar says:

-... ..- -.-- / --. . -. . .-. .. -.-. / ...- .. .- --. .-. .-

2. ichae says:

- . .-.. . --. .-. .- -- / ... . .-. ...- .. -.-. . ... / .-- . .-. . / -.. .. ... -.-. --- -. - .. -. ..- . -.. / - --- -.. .- -.-- / .-- .... . -. / - .... . / .-.. .- ... - / .-. . -- .- .. -. .. -. --. / -.-. --- .--. .--. . .-. / .-- .. .-. . / -... . - .-- . . -. / --- ..-. ..-. .. -.-. . ... / .-- .- ... / .-. . .--. .-.. .- -.-. . -.. / .-- .. - .... / ..-. .. -... . .-. / ..--..

3. strspn says:

-.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / ... . -. -.. / ... - .-. .. .--. -....- --- -....- --. .-. .- -- ... / ... - --- .--.

4. jkonrath says:

If you want to re-live the old days, here's a very nice PDF template of a circa-1930s Western Union telegraph printout. You can fill it in with your old message and it will print out with the old-timey fonts and everything.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/toybox/PROPDOCS/PropDocs.html also has a lot of other interesting propdocs, if you want to make an old-school driver's license or something.

5. luserspaz says:

..-. .. .-. ... - / .... .. - / --- -. / --. --- --- --. .-.. . / ..-. --- .-. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / --- -- --. / .-.. --- .-..

6. And that about says it all. Is kinda sad to hear, and at the same time nice to know that what is no longer needed can be shed and remembered in a good light.

7. -.-- --- / -- --- -- -- .- / ... --- / --- .-.. -.. / ... .... . / ..- ... . -.. / - --- / .. -- / -.-- --- / -.. .- -.. -.. -.-- / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.-

8. crackmonkey says:

You luserweb never fails to depress.

9. roninspoon says:

Next thing you know they'll stop delivering mysterious 199 year old letters in them middle of a dark and stormy night. I hope Doc Brown has a back up plan.

10. styroteqe says:

1964: Began using a transcontinental microwave beam to replace land lines.

I wonder how many tumors popped up mysteriously along that beam's path

• susano_otter says:

I wonder how many tumors popped up mysteriously along that beam's path

Heh. I read that as I wonder how many rumors popped up mysteriously along that beam's path.

My first thought was, "all of them?"

11. ultranurd says:

I wonder how many of your readers actually know morse code, and how many are using one of the many Javascript morse code converters out there. I knew morse code at one point, but I never had reason to use it.

• Don't they still teach morse code in elementary school? Regardless, the javascript thing is fast, and it seems to be right.

• ultranurd says:

I don't deny that it's correct, it just seems like cheating for some reason. I'm just weird.

I think Morse Code has gone the way of the boy scouts and the Pledge of Allegiance as far as elementary school is concerned.

12. greatbiggary says:

Did the Tonight Show competition wherein a team of old fogey Morse Codemen soundly trounced the US champs in text messaging sway no one?

WMV of the Morse vs. texting competition
    Nokia files patent for cellphone Morse Code

13. fgmr says:

I want to know what the last telegram was. Was nobody involved sufficiently sentimental to send some meaningful final message?