Maunsell Army Sea Forts

Maunsell Army Sea Forts:

Many other pretty pictures can be found at bldgblog_feed.

1. vxo says:

Wow! It's like Stiltsville gone EVIL!

2. m4dh4tt3r says:

the story behind those forts is really interesting. they used to be interconnected by catwalks, but sea and steel don't get along well over time. the pictures are great, too.

3. mendel says:

I recall reading somewhere that those sea forts were one of the inspirations for the architecture of Myst, or of one of the later Myst games. I can see it, in any case.

4. artlung says:

Very City of Lost Children!

More photos linked from the bottom of the wikipedia entry.

5. wealhtheow says:

These would have made great Viking repellents.

6. strspn says:

Isn't one of those <lj user="octal">'s country?

7. fantasygoat says:

The question is, why aren't they condos yet?

8. latemodel says:

Those images are amazing and captivating. Thanks for prompting me to waste an hour chasing after them!

In my searching, I found that the army forts were occupied in the 60s by various (and often feuding) pirate radio stations. How cool is that?

9. giles says:

Their armour's too strong for our blasters!

10. blech says:

Spooky (the early/mid 90s progressive house band, not DJ Spooky or anyone else using, er, that word in their band name) had Grant Gee do a bunch of videos for their Found Sound album, one of which was a boat sailing around the Maunsell forts. I've never been able to find the blasted thing online, but I saw it once at a music video compilation film evening event do, and it was pretty cool.

Something else that might tickle jwz (and his readers) is the fact there's a boat full of explosives in the Thames, a few tens of miles from London (and somewhat near the Maunsell forts), that may explode at any time. Nobody's ever figured out what to do with it, so it's just there, waiting to take a chunk of nothern Kent with it when it goes.