"except of course sodomy."

Nudity invalidates marriage:
An Egyptian cleric's controversial fatwa claiming that nudity during sexual intercourse invalidates a marriage has uncovered a rift among Islamic scholars.

According to the religious edict issued by Rashad Hassan Khalil, a former dean of Al-Azhar University's faculty of Sharia (or Islamic law), "being completely naked during the act of coitus annuls the marriage".

The religious decree sparked a hot debate on the private satellite network Dream's popular religious talk show and on the front page of today's Al-Masri Al-Yom, Egypt's leading independent daily newspaper.

Suad Saleh, who heads the women's department of Al-Azhar's Islamic studies faculty, pleaded for "anything that can bring spouses closer to each other" and rejected the claim that nudity during intercourse could invalidate a union.

During the live televised debate, Islamic scholar Abdel Muti dismissed the fatwa: "Nothing is prohibited during marital sex, except of course sodomy."

Tags: ,
Current Music: Jem -- Just a Ride ♬

1. ivan_ghandhi says:

You know why, they say in Europe, Americans don't like French movies? Because in French movies they take off pants before having sex. Which is considered immoral in US, they say in Europe.

2. crasch says:

"Nothing is prohibited during marital sex, except of course sodomy."

What a relief to Muslim furries.

3. All the more reason for leather & latex...

4. duskwuff says:

Wikipedia: "Sodomy is a term of religious origin to characterise certain sexual non-procreative acts."

So, in other words, nothing is prohibited, except anything that isn't making-babies sex?

5. spudtater says:

I wonder if he's married?

6. ultranurd says:

Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks implied that anything goes, with no qualifiers.

7. Hu????

Wow, just wow. *blink* wow
    *shakes head*
    I know nothing about Islam or egypt for that matter. But you have to be kidding me, Invalidaes the marriage??
    Ok, I could see somone seeing it as a "Sin" but anulling an established marriage??? that is just crazy.

• This is actually like 8 kinds of awesome. In most places, getting an annulment is *hard*. If Imam Crackpipe here is right, all you gotta do is strip down and do the nasty, and boom, it was all a misunderstanding. Hell, even the "sane" one thinks a little oral action is enough to get you off the hook.

See, this is actually Sharia women's rights! Sure, we all know that the guy can divorce his wife by saying he does three times. But, see, all the mrs has to do is get her hubby's shlong in her mouth, and voila! And really, how hard can that be?

8. anaisdjuna says:

just when you thought religious thought on sex couldn't get any more stupid......

9. infrogmation says:

Hey, baby, wanna annul our marriage tonight?

10. buz says:

I like it better with a few naughties on anyway... and I'm sure edible undies count.

11. tramp32123 says:

No sodomy???? Well bugger me!!!!

12. cyeh says:

You could be forced to wear full plate mail while fucking.

The movies I am forced to remember....

• I love that we watched that in Grade 10 english, and the teacher forget that their was nudity in it. The biggest complaint was from the girls who thought the plate mail was ridiculous. Not that I'm saying it isn't.

Ahhh, Catholic school. Somehow they managed to avoid showing most of the nudity in Schindler's List, though, despite us having to get some sort of waiver signed.

13. srcosmo says:

Appropriate choice of music, as usual.

14. korgmeister says:

Just when I thought Islam couldn't get any weirder.

Hmm, I wonder where the line of nudity comes in. I mean, do earrings or a headband or a watch stop you from being nude?

How about doing it the Jerry Seinfeld way and being naked except for a belt?