This will probably be the last release in a while; while finishing up the OSX version, I took the opportunity to fix some stuff that had been bugging me about the X11 and PalmOS versions too.
- OSX: prettier preferences panel (thanks riffraff!)
- smoother morphing;
- bigger "seconds only" font;
- color cycling when possible;
- high-resolution mode when possible.
- smoother morphing;
- better contrast and variety in the cycled colors;
- added three new, larger built-in fonts.
Let me know how it works on your various PalmOS devices; it works good on my Treo 650 (which is both color and hires) but I don't know how much variety there is among the other PDAs.
<lj-cut text="Two things still bug me about the PalmOS version..."> Two things still bug me about the PalmOS version:
- Would someone like to make me an icon for it that is color and matches the style of modern PalmOS apps? (I'm also not clear on how you go about embedding both a color and mono icon into a .prc file, but people seem to do it).
To make hires mode work, I embedded a bigger font in the program. There should be four fonts: "normal" and "seconds-only" each for lores and hires modes. But right now there are only three: I couldn't embed the seconds-only-hires font, because that made my data segment big enough to push me over the "jmp-fits-in-a-short" boundary and the linker died. I gather that workarounds for this sort of thing exist, but I couldn't figure it out. If you know how to make it go, please send me a patch!
<lj-cut text="Also, I might as well mention a couple of GTK-related things...">
Also, I might as well mention a couple of GTK-related things:
- You can embed xdaliclock in your Gnome Panel by installing the "Gnome Swallow" meta-applet. I've found it to be a little flaky, but it basically works with whatever Gnome comes with FC4.
Because of afforementioned flakiness, back in 2003 I started playing around with a GTK/GDK port of Dali Clock that didn't use Xlib at all (the eventual goal being to make it able to embed itself in the panel directly). I never finished it, because going through the GDK layer on top of Xlib made it use way too much CPU, and I got pissed off trying to work around it. So, the half-finished, don't-use-this-no-really GTK version of Dali Clock is in the source tarball too. There's not much chance I'll ever work on it again, but maybe one of you Gnome folks might want to. If you make it go, send me the changes.