Henry Rollins tomorrow

It has only just come to my attention that Henry Rollins is doing his spoken word stand-up comedy routine on Tue Nov 8 at the Palace of Fine Arts. Highly recommended: he is quite possibly the funniest man alive. Certainly the funniest man with the largest neck. The tickets I just bought ended up in the very last row, so hurry. (Alas, it's TicketBastard.)
Tags: ,

1. awwww, crap.

gonna go home and listen to some more of him.

2. sjn says:

My wife and I once spent a 6 hour drive listening to nothing but rollins spoken word cd's. entertaining for sure. However once we got to the destination we were both in foul/grumpy moods.

He has a lot of anger mixed in with his funny.

We are going, and hopefully two hours will be just right.

3. violentbloom says:

Somehow it's appropriate for voting day don't you think?
    I guess I have second row seats, I'll wave!

4. zoratu says:

The good news is, if you want better seats, he's doing another show in Santa Clara on November 22. It hasn't sold out yet, and it's a much smaller venue.

For anybody else reading, I have an extra ticket; row O, seat 21 (seating chart). Not the greatest, but available! E-mail me for details.

5. grahams says:

Saw him a few weeks ago (for the Nth time) here in Boston at the Berklee Performance Center... His rants this time around were great, and he went on for about 2.5hrs, which is about average for the times I've seen him... The only disadvantage, for me, was the venue... Seats were uncomfortable and there was a huge head blocking my view the whole show... It might have been a good place to see chamber music or something, but not for a stand-up show.

6. He's been in Binghamton twice in the past year. Saw him both times. There was a surprisingly small amount of repetition.

7. I've seen him a few times down here in Australia, and I'd jump at the chance to see him again. Each time I'm amazed that he manages to keep me entertained for 2-3 hours *constantly* -- there's no real pause or anything. Here's a mini-review of a show I saw in 2002:

Every time I see him I leave the show wanting to grab the world by the shoulders and shake some sense into it.

And yeah, he's still built like a brick shithouse after all these years.

8. usufructer says:

Why is it billed as "spoken word"? It is, on a literal level, but still.

I saw him here in Ames Iowa a month or two back. He completely filled the theater. I was in the third row, and it was a free show (part of a "lecture series" the university does).

• suppafly says:

because that's what that style of standup commentary is commonly called, its not unique to rollins

• usufructer says:

Yes, I understand the term and the uses. But it has other connotations, and what he is doing is, for the most part, stand-up.

• thomtoffner says:

I'd have to differ with you there. A very large part of his act is filled with humor, but it is a very far cry from stand-up.

"Storytelling" is probably the best way I could label what he does, but it is definately NOT stand-up.

My favorite of his shows have had me nearly crying at times due to the fucktupitude of the things he is talking about.

• suppafly says:

exactly.. not to mention that the intent is different, what rollins does is almost like preaching.. he uses reallife and sometimes humorous examples to often times make a point.. when it's over you've definitely been exposed to some new ideas and new ways of thinking about things.. when you leave standup you just leave wore out from laughing or annoyed that the person wasn't as funny as they should have been.

9. rzr_grl says:

/me throws things

10. musicscene says:

Yeees! I second the highly recommended.

Saw him last week (Halloween) here in Minneapolis @ the beautifully restored Pantages Theatre. Wife and I were MFC but they had 2 rows of nose-bleeders come sit in front of us in chairs. Very awesome and I need another fix now... eh so... on the mark with most everything.

Blast! Bauhaus is tonight. :(

11. thomtoffner says:

it would be more appropriate if you struck 'stand-up comedy' and left 'spoken word' in the clear. It is actually a slightly derrogatory thing to call his act, as he runs the gamut of emotional reponses. I've experienced many Rollins shows, and never have heard him tell a single joke. Funny, funny shit, yes. Jokes, no.

I've seen him probably a dozen times. It's a comedy act! It's a very good one, and he has real things to say, but call it what it is. He is in the same line of work as George Carlin.

• grahams says:

Derogatory? I've heard Rollins himself refer to these shows as "talking shows", which to me sounds way more dismissive than "stand-up" or "spoken word"... And I know several stand-ups who would be pissed that you dismissed their act as "telling jokes".

I agree with <lj user="jwz" />, while his show might be in a different vein than your average open-mic-night jokester, at the end of the day, I think "stand-up" is a perfectly adequate description... I also feel that Rollins doesn't need anyone defending him...

12. otterley says:

I just heard Henry Rollins on Live 105 during their noon hour. He claimed that all music now sounds the same because music production is now digital. Apparently he's been infected with the common and fallacious notion that analog recording and mixing is inherently better than digital, because (in his words) "CD doesn't have sufficient dynamic range...with DVD-Audio they're trying to fix that." What the...?

Before I knew it was his voice, I thought he was just some misinformed moron who didn't know what it takes to put out a good record. But surely he must know the ins and outs of record production, so how can he blame poor engineering and mixing on technology?

I guess the upshot of all this is that my respect for him just fell a fair amount.

The dynamic range thing is dumb, but I do think there's an argument to be made for modern technology making music worse because it lowers the barrier to entry and gives people a lot more crutches to use. The same is true of movie editing: all those fast-edit incomprehensible fight scenes happen because it's easy, not because it's a good idea.