fucking Palm

Dear Lazyweb,

Since restoring my iMac from backup, every time I try to sync my iMac and my Treo, it says something along the lines of, "Syncing with phone will change more than 5% of your Calendars on this computer. Add: 1158. Delete: 0. Modify: 3. Ok?" And sure enough, if I say "Ok" it duplicates every event in my iCal. Each time.

I think I want to just tell the computer, "blow away what's on the Palm and treat what's on the computer's copy as the ultimate authority." How do I do that?

Update: "iSync / Devices / Reset All Devices" sounded promising, but it just caused the Treo to start rebooting every time it tried to sync the calendar. So I did a memory-wiping hard-reset of the device (hold down Off for ~10 seconds while pressing the reset button by the battery) and that let it reinstall everything. (Except that for some reason, Snapper Mail made me re-enter my account info). So, it's fixed now... for now.

Update 2: The new version of Missing Sync is out now, and comes with its own conduit that fixes most of the complaints I had about fields not being synchronized. To get it to install I had to go through the "reset the device, reinstall Snapper" dance again, but now there's a lot more data in my phone's address book and calendar, which is very nice.

Tags: , , , , ,
Current Music: Voodou -- Dogfight ♬

1. babbage says:

You should be able to just use Insider to delete the DateBook database file on the Treo. If you do a full sync with backup first, and this doesn't help, you can always just restore the backup you made earlier.

I have a kind of opposite problem; inability to get my Treo 600 to properly sync with the work calendaring system (Oracle Calendar, bletch). Software exists to do it but it doesn't run on any operating system I really want to use. Still, that's hardly new.

2. cjensen says:

It sounds to me like reseting the device does what you want, but I have a non-Palm device so I can't try it myself.

That didn't work; after I did that, the phone would reboot every time it tried to sync the calendar. I ended up doing a hard-reset of the device.

3. Why don't you just reset the Palm with extreme prejudice? That should blow it away.

4. netik says:

Have you tried this?

1. Open isync.
    2. Go to 'Preferences'.
    3. Click on "Reset Sync History"

Then try syncing.

5. satmandu says:

I hate to be the asshole that says "go buy more software" but the Missing Sync version 5 that came out last week completely bypasses the Apple iSync conduits (assuming you are using OS X 10.4), and does a really good job of doing a much better sync of data on my T650 to my mac.

Aha! I knew that was coming, but I didn't know it was out. I just bought it and it works good. I had to reset the device again and reinstall snapper again, but now it's updating all the fields I care about. Yay.

6. darkengobot says:

FWIW, this used to happen with my IIIxe as well. At one point, I had to export all of my contacts and calendar items, reset the Palm and Nokia 3660, delete all Address and iCal databases, then re-import contacts and calendar, then sync.

(Syncing the IIIxe was a heartbreaking experience over IrDA--nearly 10 minutes. The 3660 is faster over Bluetooth.)

By now, you'd think keeping this data in sync would be a solved problem. My nuke-from-orbit method solved the problem, it might be worthwhile to keep in mind.

7. belgand says:

Hmm... I'm not certain of the specifics because I'm only used to using a Palm V on Windows/Linux, but the hotsync TSR has an option under "Custom" that lets you specify the behavior of each conduit. One of the options is to let the desktop override whatever the Palm has. There should be an analogous control I'd think.

8. retrodiva1 says:

Remember way back when people had date books and wrote everything down with a pencil and paper?