Dial R for Retro.

I just received one of these. By popular acclaim of my drunken compatriots at Fancypants Village, it is the Best Headset Evar. And the connector works by default with my Treo and several other phones tried.

It would be better if it had an "answer call" button, or was bluetooth, or came with a rotary dial body. But still. Pretty awesome. Sound quality is excellent. $35.

(See also.)

Tags: , , , , ,
Current Music: Lamb -- God Bless ♬

1. vxo says:

In sorting through boxes of yummy electronic bits, I came across a pair of new old stock handsets... for payphones. Complete with the big, thick, steel 'Greenfield'-shielded cables.

I shall put an appropriate connector on one and use it in a similar manner as soon as I get a cell phone that actually works.

2. defenestr8r says:

nice music choice ;)

3. danomite55 says:

I've had my eye on this product, but before I order it, I'd really like to know if it works with Nokia phones (mine uses one of those large, ugly endings: http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,32964,00.html). Is this product made by a particular company who might have a website?

• wfaulk says:

The description states that it connects via a 2.5mm phone plug. They're pretty common. If you don't have a hold where it looks like you could plug in a pair of headphones, except a little smaller, then you can't use it.

Actually, I think there are bluetooth connectors you could use if your phone has Bluetooth and not such a jack. In fact, if it can be disassembled, Jamie might be able to hack one inside the thing. I bet there's lots of empty space.

• p3rlm0nk says:

There are also widgets out there that will convert the 2.5mm plug into whatever proprietary interface (a physical connection widget, I mean, that wouldn't need BT). I think I'm going to have to use one with my Sony-Ericsson T610 if I get this thing, which I'm strongly thinking about doing. Most cell phones don't mesh well with hearing aids, but the old handsets do better (feedback issues mainly).

Of course, if there is a bluetooth way to do this, since the 610 is a BT phone, that would ROCK. :D

• jackbrinks says:

The company sells adapters for $8 for Nokia phones.

The handset is also $5 cheaper there than ThinkGeek and comes in 4 colors.

4. dojothemouse says:

In The Future, someone will make a audio-interface-only cellphone that fits entirely inside a retro receiver.

You will initiate dialing by saying, "Hello, Operator?"

5. i can't believe what santa brings YOU. *nyahhhhh*