safari image loading

Dear Lazyweb,

If I'm loading a photo gallery in Safari, then loads in other windows are stalled until all those thumbnails load. (This is espeically obvious with Flickr, since it's always slow as hell.) Looks like Safari allows only some small number of simultaneous connections; anyone know how to increase that number? I know how to change that in Mozilla/Firefox (network.http.max-connections and network.http.max-connections-per-server) but not in Safari.

Tags: , , ,

1. dossy says:

I couldn't find the setting to change the max number of concurrent HTTP connections, but here's how to change the rendering delay.

I know how you hate non-solutions, but considering no one else commented, perhaps this will get you headed in the right direction. Wish I had an Mac to play with, but maybe looking at the response from defaults read will reveal something that looks like it'd control the max concurrent HTTP connections and you could just defaults write it.

2. anricat says:

Unfortunately, there is currently not a way to change this in Safari. Sorry!

(Apple Support Engineer - Safari)

• usufructer says:

Any chanc of you guys integrating quick searches into Safari, ala Mozilla (i.e. specially formed bookmarks, or some other device)? Adding tabbed browsing a the last major revision was enough to get me to switch, but I miss the quick searches.

3. anricat says:

Upon digging further I found some more information. There is no way to set the max number of simultaneous connections, however, there is no limit in Safari post-Panther. Unless you are using a version of Safari prior to 1.2, then something else is going on.

That being said, I've ensured that a way to set the max number of connections is filed as an enhancement request. Though, you'd just be limiting yourself since there is currently no limit.

Hmm. Well, I'm running OS 10.4.2 with all the latest updates as of a couple weeks go (I see there are some new ones today that I don't have yet), and Safari 2.0 (412.2) and it really seems like there's a hard, app-wide max number of connections of about 20 or so. E.g., if I have a big flickr gallery loading in one window, other windows are stalled; and as soon as I close the flickr window, the others continue loading immediately.

• anricat says:

Does this happen only with flickr or all websites with gobs of thumbnails? I was at a flickr site today and didn't notice any lagging, though I don't think I tried with another window loading at the same time. I'll try that. Separate windows or tabs or both?