wacky bicycle designs

Specialized Venom line:
"It's one of the first bikes in the world to have no rear hub. The rear wheel has a special magnetically polarized rim that is suspended inside the frame, where it floats inside a magnetic suspension field. You've already figured out what that means. Fewer moving parts, less friction, more speed! As an added plus, the magnetic suspension field cushions your ride. The drive train is also based on a magnetic principle, so powering the pedals creates incredible speed in no time."

Update: hoax.

Tags: ,

1. porphyre says:

Excuse me while I droool..

2. nester says:

I need one of these before the impending doom of western civilization comes to fruitation..

Those are rad. Yes, I said rad.

3. abates says:

Looks like it'd be really hard to fix a flat though...

4. Me suspicious. "All Rights Unreserved - Loof Lirpa Publishing"

5. elijahad says:

they need to do that with cars, so we are one step closer to hovering cars. Plus its better.

6. semiclever says:

Steering is so passè

7. usufructer says:

Yes, but can it fly?

8. musicscene says:

Edit: We got punk'd straight up Ashton Kutcher Style. Loof Lirpa Publishing posted these bikes. And the convenient dyslexic reader noticed that Loof Lirpa is of course April Fool backwards. At least we didnt spend hours rendering odd looking bikes for a joke. So there!

UPDATE - We didn't get punked. After the jump.

Numlock writes:

The bikes were taken from concept artist Scott Robertson, who has a step-by-step tutorial on the technique used for these renderings.

They weren't created with the intention of being "April Fools" jokes, but
    apparently someone else thought they would work well as such.

I guess it should stand as a testament to how talented the guy is...

9. pavel_lishin says:

"Fewer moving parts, less friction, more speed! As an added plus, the magnetic suspension field cushions your ride."

Until you hit a bump, and your magnetic wheel disintegrates all over the road.

10. Pity they're not real.

But changing a flat on the Viper would really be a bitch.

11. ghostfreeman says:

That looks kinda cool

Where can I buy one, gas prices are outrageous and I wanna look cool on my big-ass wheeled bicycle.

12. mackys says:

Scientists have long thought that passive magnetic bearings without expensive electronics were impossible due to Earnshaw's Theorem. However, Klaus Halbach at Lawrence Berkeley Nat'l Labs found a way to put together magnets such that the field almost cancels on one side and becomes much stronger on the other. Roll a line of these into a ring, stick a conducting loop inside the ring, and you've got a damn good, 100% passive, magnetic bearing:

They also say this will make maglev train track a lot cheaper to make. Google for "inductrack".

• naturalborn says:

The other trick which could work is rotation, which bicycle wheels conveniently happen to do. Before seeing that it's a hoax though, I was wondering about how they got such strong magnets in a bike. The other big giveaway was the lack of steering column - how are those things supposed to turn, anyway?

13. carbonunit says:

I personally like the way the suspension erases the strips on the cards in your wallet while you ride.

14. kaneda_khan says:

special magnetically polarized rim

I know our Earth speech frightens and confuses you, but we already have a special word for objects which have been magnetically polarized. We call them … magnets.

EMF trumps thermodynamics now? Or does the bike couple with the platnet's field and give you a boost when you go east? (or north, or up, or whichever-the-hell way the right-hand rule would point)

15. Cool bikes, as long as straight is your thing. Made for the prairies.

16. jkonrath says:

That magnetic hub sounds great, up to the point where you ride over a metal bridge with high mass and your rear wheel sticks.

I'm also not sure how the hell you'd lock it up to something.

17. wilkes says:

Several years ago a concept bike was actually built that has no rear hub.
    I'd find a link , but was around 1993 or so when I was building and racing my cannondale.
    I'm pretty sure it was in Mountain Bike Action or something like that.
    If I remember, it was actually a ceramic rim with contact points up near the seat area, not maglev BS. The front was a one sided fork, which was a popular concept at the time. It was slick, and really existed.