Siren Song of the Aquatic Gnome Menace

Underwater gnome threat 'returns'

A secret underwater attraction that lured several divers to their deaths could have returned, police say.

The "gnome garden" complete with picket fence was removed from the bottom of Wastwater in the Lake District after several divers died a few years ago. It is thought they spent too much time at too great a depth while searching for the site of the ornaments.

Now police divers say there is a rumour that the garden has returned at a depth beyond which they are allowed.

Current Music: Freezepop -- Lazy ♬

1. travisd says:

I read that the first time as "Underwear gnome threat 'returns'"

2. coldacid says:

1. Build gnome fortress deep under the water.
    2. ??
    3. Profit!

3. willyumtx says:

I hear that there is a secret display of elves in the heart of the sun. But don't go there, because you might get burned. You have been warned.

4. endquote says:

I wonder if the garden was placed there, or just lowered from a lesser depth.

It also seems odd that multiple people would have died looking for it. Why wouldn't you record its location the first time and then go straight to it?

And I'd think it would be pretty easy to figure out who did it. 50m is seriously deep, and there are probably not that many people in the area that could plant a gnome garden at that depth or deeper, and they're probably not the sort to be humble about their skills.

But if you did find out who it was, would it matter? Is it a crime?

• quercus says:

It (and many other gnome gardens) are placed there by divers, one by one. There's even a guide rope leading to it. When you visit, you take a new gnome.

In nearby Coniston there's supposed to be a whole bathroom suite.

5. j_b says:

This is a fine example of aqueous humor.

6. baconmonkey says:

I didn't think fish could vomit.

7. xed_geek says:

I think this is an excellent example of Darwin in action.

• pavel_lishin says:

"The great barrier reef was demolished today, as several divers died in the general vicinity."

• flaede says:

...Somehow, if the story read "several dievers have died looking for the Great Barrier Reef", then I think we can rest assured that they deserved what they got.

I'm just sayin'

8. krick says:

The quarry that I dive in needs a Gnome Garden too. I think I'll make one this year.

Now, where does one go to buy the appropriate type of gnomes?