Hellraiser: Hellseeker

I just watched Hellraiser: Hellseeker (which is apparently Hellraiser 6) and -- though I know this will be hard to accept -- it was actually pretty good! It was more of a psychological thriller than a splatter movie, so it really wasn't much like the other Hellraiser movies at all. It was very hallucinatory, and through most of the movie it's hard to tell which events are real or even what order they are happening in. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. The acting was decent, and the effects are low-key enough that their budget didn't show.

For calibration purposes: I loved the first one, and thought the second one was decent. Hell on Earth was complete garbage (leave the puns to Freddy, please) and Hellraiser In Space was notable only in that it was even worse than Leprichaun In Space, which came out that same year. I haven't seen the others.

Tags: , ,

1. 5beroptic says:

A friend of mine said one day taht there are still two more Hellraiser movies to be released in the near future. If you check this link there is some info from a couple of weeks ago stating that there will be a new tv series coming out too.

I must agree with you. Hellseeker was not to bad at all. :) That mind shifty stuff will get ya every time.

2. loosechanj says:

To this day the only one I've seen is Hellraiser in space.

3. rnb says:

I'd jokingly suggest Hellraiser in the Hood, but they might actually go make it, if they haven't already. I lost the ability to keep track of the sequels after the fourth one.

• pavel_lishin says:

There was a Leprichaun in the Hood, as I recall. I laughed and laughed, and then I realize (after reading this post) that they sent him to space, too.

Now all they need is Hellraiser vs. Leprichaun, set in some sort of Space Ghetto.

4. srattus says:

bloodlines was pretty bad.

strangely enough, they made almost the same movie, released the next year.

Perhaps I should have a bad movie night and show this "pinhead eats the hackers" one that I didn't know existed.

5. lx says:

The odd thing about Hellseeker is that it felt like a film that was written without any semblance of Hellraiser in mind, and then had the two or three scenes with Pinhead and the cube tacked on to make it fit the franchise.

I'm a big fan of both smart and stupid horror movies. That said, the biggest problems I had with that film were respectively the awful score (the weak, synthetic bombast of which always made me laugh out loud more than cower in terror, or even dismiss) and the fact that 5 minutes into the movie my household essentially announced in unison the "twist" at the end that would explain the entire film's non-linearity. And yet, we watched, to make sure.

Yep. They Finally Made A Monkey Out Of Him.

6. badger says:

Ok, I'd stopped after four when a friend who adores the stories saw five and said it was so bad he could find nothing of value in it. I'll look at six.

7. greyhame says:

I love the first three movies (I don't think that the second is very good, and the third is atrocious, but I love them anyway), but I'm not sure I agree with your psychological-vs.-splatter assessment. The original Hellraiser wasn't really a splatter movie, though Hellbound through Bloodlines were. Inferno, the fifth, was pretty awful, though it also tries to take more of a thriller approach, and greatly restricts the scope (solving one of the fourth movie's biggest problems). But the writing was miserably bad, and Pinhead appears only at the very end, to bore the shit out of the audience with a long sermon, making explicit all the blatantly obvious Moral Statements of the movie.

I still can't believe they really titled the seventh one "Deader." I mean, come on. Deader?

8. iphy says:

I, too, was pleasantly surprised by Hellseeker, though I agree with others here who say it seemed to have little to do with Hellraiser as a movie or as a genre. I've seen all of them. This one and the first two are the only ones worth seeing, except as a completeness thing.

I had much the same experience with From Dusk Til Dawn. I really enjoyed the first one, so I rented all three of them one evening a year or so ago. From Dusk Til Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money. Now, I expected the sequel to stink. But, it exceeded all expectations of stinkiness. I wanted my 88 minutes back. Nevertheless, I boldly pressed on and put From Dusk Til Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter into my DVD player. I was rewarded with a fairly well-done and very entertaining movie.

• chronovore says:

I'm glad to hear that. I rented Blood Money expecting crap, and was /still/ disappointed, and so I've avoided Hangman's Daughter since then. Maybe I should give it a spin.

9. chronovore says:

Weird that you say it's not like the other Hellraiser movies; I thought the first one was primarily a suspense-driven movie.

I think that it had a rather large proportion of disembodied nervous systems, fish-hooks, and exploding heads to really be considered a "primarily suspense-driven movie."