When Trip Toys Attack

Exploding lava lamp kills Kent man:
A 24-year-old man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said. "Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

Phillip Quinn's parents found his body in his Kent trailer home at about 8 p.m. Sunday. They went to check on him after his girlfriend reported that she couldn't get in touch with him.

The King County Medical Examiner's office estimated the time of his death at 2 p.m. Sunday. After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died, Petersen said.

Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use. [... except the lava lamp. ]

Tags: ,

14 Responses:

  1. solarbird says:

    Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.
    In Kent?! Wow, that is news!

    (Normally, Kent is one-stop-shopping for all your dead-body-found-in-a-trunk needs.)

  2. cmdrmoocow says:

    Darwin awards nominee?

  3. benediktus says:

    lava lamps keep having a sedatively effect on me, too

  4. renesq says:

    Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

    Because those things take a helluva long time to heart heat up, that's why.

    |Ren|

  5. supersat says:

    Apparently, this sort of thing is common in Washington.

  6. zarex says:

    I'm hoping this makes it to a Mythbusters episode.

  7. defenestr8r says:

    Phillip Quinn's parents found his body in his Kent trailer home at about 8 p.m. Sunday.

    why am i not at all surprised that he lived in a trailer?

  8. coldacid says:

    Something like that deserves to be posted in mock_the_stupid. Sheer (lack of) brilliance.

  9. klarfax says:

    Wow, that's pretty unlucky for it to explode and actually puncture his heart.