Studios Sue Pixar, Demand Bad Movie

The eight major Hollywood studios have filed suit against CGI animation company Pixar for its consistent record of quality movies. The complaint alleges that with its sixth consecutive profitable and critically acclaimed film in ``The Incredibles,'' Pixar is overturning a decades-long public relations campaign waged by Hollywood studios to convince the public that it's impossible to consistently make high quality films. ``If Pixar doesn't get with the program, we're going to have to fundamentally change the way we do business,'' groused Paramount chairwoman Sherry Lansing, whose studio hasn't produced a hit film in several years. ``I repeat my recommendation to Steve Jobs that he pay John Travolta and Halle Berry $20 million each to provide voices for an effects-laden remake of `The Fox and the Hound.'''
Tags:

1. brennx0r says:

Are they kidding? It would be sad if any judge focused on this for more than 2 seconds.

2. boggyb says:

Please tell me that they are joking...

...then again, knowing the RIAA and MPAA, they're probably not...

3. neevita says:

This has GOT to be a joke.

4. ilovezombies says:

Why am I not surprised...

5. jwz says:

I want you all to know what a monumental disappointment you are to me.

6. duskwuff says:

The humor-impaired are cautioned to read some other articles from the same source before coming to any conclusions about the movie industry.

Not that they wouldn't be true anyway. But whatever.

7. sfritz says:

Wait, I can't tell... is that a parody?

8. k0dama says:

:'D america is the land of the suing game.

• xach says:

That's pretty terrible. Toy Story 1 and 2 are my favorite Pixar movies. I don't see how they could exclude Pixar and John Lasseter and still make a good Toy Story movie.

9. abiku says:

Thanks for providing a good laugh on an otherwise boring and dreary day in Minnesota.

10. cabrius says:

Actually, it looks like Pixar may indeed be getting ready to deliver a bad movie.

(Maybe they should call this one "Contractual Obligation"...)

• marcus132 says:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that trailer.

"So we owe you one more movie, eh Disney? Well swallow this lookin'-like-Chevron-commercials-but-not-as-endearing piece of NASCAR crap."

• thomtoffner says:

The only problem with that theory is Cars is Lasseters baby, he's been planning that thing for eons now, and it was at least once very dear to his heart. I seriously doubt he'd make it crappy just to screw over Disney. It DOES look pretty crappy tho, even if it does feature Owen Wilson.

• marcus132 says:

Well "eons ago" it would have been great. Talking cars are relatively easy to do in CG (compared to humans) and they could have been done adequately with the technology available back then.

If Cars had followed Tin Toy, it would have rocked. Following The Incredibles, probably not so much.

• taffer says:

On the other hand, the teaser trailer for Finding Nemo looked pretty damn boring (awesome renders, where's the plot?), but the movie turned out to be quite fine.

Cars definitely looked too Tonka Toddler Toys to me though. Unfortunately, I have a three year old, I may be forced to sit through it several thousand times.

• nothings says:

Well, you know, Spielberg had wanted to make a Peter Pan movie all his life, and it was very dear to his heart, and we got Hook.

Of course, that's more data in favor of the "just because it sucks doesn't mean they're trying to screw Disney".

• webserf says:

I wasn't impressed either - and agree they look way too much like the Chevron cars. Apparently the plot is more Doc Hollywood than NASCAR. And Disney may rework its "Autopia" theme park rides to fit with the Cars characters & setting.

I read elsewhere that Disney is desperate for an animated feature with characters that will appeal to boys - having failed with recent tries such as Treasure Planet.

11. merovingian says:

Is this some kind of "joking not-real" journal or something?

Are we actually supposed to believe that Hollywood is batting as high as .333 on its good to crap ratios?

Are we expected to believe that vegan Steve Jobs would even consider sponsoring a hunting-related movie?

12. greatbiggary says:

This made everyone's day here at the studio. The last line is right on. Our director is an ex music video producer, and doesn't speak English. It's been quite an uphill climb.

13. thestove says:

That is so funny...

You could make a reality show of of them, Them discussing how they would get them back!

i would laugh my head off..

Kind Regards,
    TheStove.

14. wilecoyote says:

Believe it or not, the IMDB lists this today as a "real" news item... (In the front page, scroll down to "IMDb Hit List").

15. belgand says:

Eh, I didn't really care for A Bug's Life. It's not quite as bad as Shrek, but it wasn't really worth watching. The Incredibles, on the other hand, was great and thoroughly enjoyable. My only concern is that as much as I enjoyed it I don't think I'll ever feel the desire to really see it again.