RCA Astro

This is one sweet TV:

And I would totally get one of these if I still used a land line:

But it is Wrong that this doesn't have a true rotary dial (that converts pulse to tone, of course.)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. neevita says:

That TV is badass. It would be great for my work space.

2. batmite2000 says:

My friend has one of those phones and it's red. Kinda like a batphone! :) Neato keen!

3. gnat23 says:

I had a total craving for a real rotary phone, got one, then immediately discovered that I couldn't check my voicemail, get through any automated menus, or let anyone in through the main door to our apartment complex.

4. flense says:

You could always make a rotary -> cell casemod

I've linked to people who have done that several times, but I've never seen one that really got it right.

5. Didn't you used to hate cellphones.

• bpt says:

Sadly, I realized that because of my new business, I was finally going to need to get a cell phone. I had resisted this for a very long time, because I absolutely hate the things: I think they're the rudest invention of modern times. A cell phone says that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you're at the beck and call of anyone anywhere. When someone answers a cell phone around you, they're telling you that the fact that you are face-to-face actually gives you lower priority than everyone else in the world.

-- cell out

6. jkonrath says:

I was looking through a BBC catalog the other day and coincidentally saw they sell a decent repro of the old candlestick rotary phone:

Of course for $170, you could hit ebay and get a whole truckload of old rotary phones in various levels of functionality...

7. idcmp says:

I've been landlineless for nearly five years, and I seem to recall you having a setup where your landline forwards to your cell phone so you can switch cell phone #'s so long as you don't move (unless the US has different rules about bringing land line #'s with you).

..are you still doing that / does it function as designed?

I still have a landline that does nothing but forward to my cell (the landline itself does not ring, and doesn't even a phone plugged in to it). I did this only so that I didn't have to change my number. Theoretically I could use the new "number portability" stuff now, but I haven't gotten around to it / felt like taking the risk of them screwing it up. Also, DirecTivo wants to phone home for software updates, and I don't think there's any easy way to do that if you have ethernet but no land line.

• parkrrrr says:

Depends on your definition of "easy" of course, but TurboNet or the CacheCard look pretty easy to install if you have a Series 1 DTiVo. If you have a Series 2, I'm given to understand that certain USB Ethernet adapters have been found to work. The drivers are even included in the official software. You'll need a DHCP server on your network, and you'll void your TiVo warranty if it's a Series 1, but if it's a Series 1 it probably doesn't have a warranty left anyway.

I have a DirecTivo series 2; a little googling did not find me any details on how to do this (but a lot of people saying it's not possible.) Got any other pointers?

• parkrrrr says:

Apparently I'm talking out of my nether orifice again. The USB network trick works for Series 2, but the USB ports are apparently disabled on DirecTivos. Sorry to get your hopes up.