A 24-year-old man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said. "Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.
Phillip Quinn's parents found his body in his Kent trailer home at about 8 p.m. Sunday. They went to check on him after his girlfriend reported that she couldn't get in touch with him.
The King County Medical Examiner's office estimated the time of his death at 2 p.m. Sunday. After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died, Petersen said.
Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use. [... except the lava lamp. ]
Exploding lava lamp kills Kent man:
Scene missing! A video that used to be embedded in this post has disappeared. If you know of a copy of this video that is still accessible, please mail me so that I can update the link.