I, for one, welcome our new psychic cyborg overlords

Paralysed man sends e-mail by thought: Brain chip reads mind by tapping straight into neurons.

A pill-sized brain chip has allowed a quadriplegic man to check e-mail and play computer games using his thoughts. The device can tap into a hundred neurons at a time, and is the most sophisticated such implant tested in humans so far.

In June 2004, surgeons implanted a device containing 100 electrodes into the motor cortex of a 24-year-old quadriplegic. Each electrode taps into a neuron in the patient's brain. The BrainGate allowed the patient to control a computer or television using his mind, even when doing other things at the same time. Researchers report for example that he could control his television while talking and moving his head.

Tags: , , ,

1. weev says:

My only question is: When the fuck is this stuff hitting the market for consumers?

I want to jack the fuck in already!

• brad says:

Yeah, I'm bored of regular-ol'-typin'.

• weev says:

When I'm a chiphead I'll have ever-more-efficient ways of bombarding you with "FREE SALJ" messages.

• rosefox says:

DEAR KINDLY SIR

I AM MARIO-1 SCHIAVANTI GENETIC OFFSPRING OF MARIO-0 SCHIAVANTI. BLESSIGNS ON YOU THIS DAY. I KNOW I CAN TRUST YOU WITH THIS HIGHYL TSENSITIVE INFORMATION. MY GENETIC DONOR WAS REXENTLY SLAIN BY A CRAZED MOB OF LUDDITE TERRORISTS AND SO WERE ALL MY FELLOW G.O. LEAVING ME THE SOLE INHERITOR OF HIS VAST FORUNTE. I SEND THIS TO YOU FROM UNDER GREAT PILE OF RUBBLE ALL THAT REMAINS OF THE BEAUTIFUL HOUSE OF MY HAPPY CHILDHOOD. SOON I WILL STAFVE WITHOUR FOOD OR WATER. QUICKLY WE MUST COMPLETE DOCUMENTS FOR ME OT TRASNSFER OUR BVAST FAMILY FORTUNE OF 5.000.000.000.000 LIRE INTO DSAFEKEEPING IN YOUR FREE COUNTRY WHERE IT CAN BE SENT TO OUR RESISTENCE FIGHTERS. PLEASE SEND ME YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INFORMAITON IN THIS NOBLE CAUSE AND I WILL GLADLY OFFER YOU 10% FOR YOUR TROUBLE AND ASSISTANCE. TIME IS OFF THE ESSENCE!!!1! I AWAIT YOUR SWIFT AND KINDLY RESPONSE.

MARIO-1 SCHIAVANTI

2. anarqueso says:

Thank god the TV Remote Control Neuron is one of our hundred most accessible ones!

3. batmite2000 says:

My question is, Can the control signal go the other way?
    The TV then starts controlling you.

Oh, that's right, that has already happened. My bad.

(Gotta go listen to RevCo - TV Mind....)

4. roninspoon says:

Where do I sign up?

5. valacosa says:

So, how long until the American Military starts using this technology? Soon, the itchy trigger finger will be but a fond memory...

6. nerpdawg says:

Wasn't this an ok michael crichton book?

7. zkzkz says:

Where do I line up?

8. baldnate says:

At long last, a solution to one-handed web surfing.

9. companyman says:

Sounds like their competition isn't slacking off. Clearly the marketing guys are onto something:

Neural Signals, based in Atlanta, has patented a conductive skull screw that sits outside the brain, just under the skull

10. starfighter says:

futurestuff!! now how far away can CYBERspace be? if they can pull data from the brain, soon enough they'll be able to put shit back into it!! sexy!

11. stenz says:

This combined with the recent talk of Bush's possible wireless earpiece just further reminds me of Interface by Stephen Bury (or Neal Stephenson if it is his pen name).
    The book details how a presidential candidate has a stroke and as part of his recovery, a corporate entity (think Haliburton type deal) puts a chip in his head that allows them to control what he says/does/acts/etc.

I think the book was written in the mid-nineties I think, yet it is looking more and more feasible/plausible today.